Upgrade my lighting?

DJ Fresh

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their lighting on their tank and would like to share how they did it? I'm tempted to rip out the 1 flourescent bulb lighting I've got and install a double flourescent bulb from Home Depot. Anyone done something like this before? I'm not wanting to pay the big bucks from an LFS to replace the hood.

Specs: 40 Gallon planted tank, I've got 30 inches by 4 1/2 inches of space where I can put the new lighting (which was of course, where the current lighting is).

Can anyone help? :dunno:

B) DJ Fresh

I looked into DIYing it myself, it's not worth it. The cost of the ballasts etc comes to barely less than buying a new hood. Secondly, you have to consider wether you're going to be using the correct sort of lighting, and thirdly, you have the hassle of getting it done, risk screwing it up, and burning your house down. It's definitely worth paying out the money.

http://www.aquatraders.com offer some good deals on lighting units. The bulbs that they come with aren't really much good, but you can just replace the bulbs and it's still cheaper than everywhere else i've seen.

Failing that.... get a credit card lol

Depends on your wishes. As a "heavily planted" tank keeper, I have never found a hood which allows me to get the right quantity and quality of light into a tank. I routinely build my own hoods.

If you at all handy, I'd say do it. It is not a difficult job at all.

Ya all i did was build a wooden hood to fit the tank and left enough room to fit a cheap double bulb shop light. Pretty basic just needed time, some marine varnish, and the most expensive part was the bulbs themselves. and to protect the hood (as they aren't water proof) i cut a plexiglass sheet to fit on my tank. You just need to know what your doing in a wood shop. Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back