update on new tank

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Right, the tank is now up and running with the cichlids - can't take a photo until I get rid of the old one - it's too near the new one :)
After cleaning the tank I took a bucket of old tank water and immersed as many of the rocks and ornaments that I could. Then I filled another bucket with old tank water and washed the gravel from the old for the new and put that in. After that I filled the new tank with about half of the water from the old tank, transferred the filter media from the old to one of the new external ones and started builing cichlid city. Finished building the caves, put in a few silk plants that I already had, filled up with declorinated water and dosed the tank with liquisil. Then came the hardest bit of all. Catching all the fish and transferring them. I finished at gone 1.00 am . The water is a little milky now due to a bacteria bloom, but there's no sign of ammonia - yet. I also transferred my plec to the cichlid tank but left the dragons in the community. Some of my cichlids are quite vicious and I didn't want to chance them taking a lump out of the dragons. The plec is big enough and ugly enough to take care of himself. :rolleyes: I hope that I transferred enough of the old tank to stop a mini cycle but only time will tell. I'll keep you all informed and get picis posted as soon as I can. Thanks all of you for the good wishes and input.

Can't wait to see the pics :D Although, you're kind of making me want to go out and get another tank! I've managed to keep the MTS at bay for a couple years now, but I think it's coming back :crazy:

Its always exciting setting up a new tank. I am gonna be moving in a few weeks. So i'll have to move my fish with me, a 9 hour drive. Yuck, but it will be fun setting the tank up again, sorta like a new tank!!!

Most reactions

Back