Unknown algae growth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

fishyfish22

Reaction score
Over the past month or so there has been this very long stringy algae growth and Iā€™m not sure what it is. It grows very fast and always comes back within a few days of me clearing it out.
Is it safe for the fish? My tank is around 4 months old , 50 gallons, I fully cycled and slowly transitioned my existing fish over when I upgraded from my 20gallon.

Itā€™s not concerning me as it doesnā€™t seem to affect the fish but I just wanted to make sure itā€™s nothing I should worry about.
(Ps ive never had any problems with the tank, fish have always been happy and healthy)

Thanks!
17218A0B-FE2D-4392-93E1-4440789D7EA9.jpeg
935704EF-C503-4CEB-BA0A-DB4552235E1E.jpeg

2 hillstream loaches + 4 otos
don't forget to feed them after as they're not just algae eaters...wafers with pure spirulina works...
and your algae problem will solve it self with these fish
oto's are picky so they won't eat every type of algae
but hillstream loaches will literally clean up your tank to the point you'll have to leave your lights on for 2 days straight once in a while to get algae

All true algae from freshwater are safe to eat and do not harm fish. They are plants but very early forms and very simple by comparison to modern plants we have.

Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) is a photosynthetic bacteria and is not an algae. Most blue green algae are poisonous.

The stuff in your tank is black filamentous algae, like beard algae but longer. It loves nutrients and light. Reducing the nutrients by doing big daily water changes can help. Reducing light can help. Adding floating plants can help.

Buying fish just to solve a problem is not a good idea. Fish should only be bought if a fish keeper, after researching to see if they are suitable, decides they want to keep that species.

different opinions
the idea is to create a balance where the tank and its habitants thrive
as for research...I keep both of these species and they're both even fry shrimp safe
hillstream loaches are the god algae eaters and somewhat hardy fish
otos can be very sensitive to changes even dying from the effects of change in water chemistry as simple as a water change
and more often people kill them by starving them thinking they only eat algae which is misinformation as they will eat brine shrimp

Sometimes members report that a fish has become tangled in algae and died. Maybe sometimes the fish were weak already but this is not always reported to be the case.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back