Unidentified Things

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Underwaterfragglerock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have something growing in my tank. On the sides of the tank there are snowflake-looking things. They are cmall and white. They remind me of webs. In fact, it appears there are some webs going from some of them to others. Sorry no pic. Any suggest :blink: ions?

Is it on some bogwood? It's probably fungus. If its on ornaments or wood take them out of the tank and soak in a strong salt solution over night. Then rinse well in dechlorinated water before returning them to the tank.

Do NOT do what Anna suggests!

From the description sounds like you have a new reef tank? Where did you get the live rock from? Just curious. Do you also have live sand?

Are these only on the glass? Look carefully on live rock assuming you have live rock. How big are they? If around 1/4 to 1/2 inch, keep an eye on them. My guess is they are dwarf brittle stars, and they are highly beneficial to a marine tank.

ostrow said:
Do NOT do what Anna suggests!

From the description sounds like you have a new reef tank? Where did you get the live rock from? Just curious. Do you also have live sand?

Are these only on the glass? Look carefully on live rock assuming you have live rock. How big are they? If around 1/4 to 1/2 inch, keep an eye on them. My guess is they are dwarf brittle stars, and they are highly beneficial to a marine tank.
I didn't catch that it was a reef tank, sorry. I'm not sure what's so bad about cleaning ornaments in strong salt solution and then rinsing, however. I wouldn't call a live rock an "ornament".

I've been thinking more. When you say "normal lighting" just what do you mean? You need quite strong lighting to grow even corraline algae. Without, your live rock will be pretty much useless for filtration purposes. But if you have sufficient wattage (see GL's articles at the top of this forum), look again on the glass. If these are purplish, and are infinitesimally thin (the brittle stars will be noticably with bodies -- what I'm talking about is essentially and entirely smooth with the glass) then what's happening is corraline algae is growing on the glass.

This is hard to get off -- I've had no success with the magfloat magnets. I use a stainless stell putty knife every few weeks on the front and side of the glass that I look through (I don't worry about the back or the other side -- depending on the placement of your tank you may care about all sides) and vigorously scrape off any buildup.

Once you get critters ... snails, crabs, whatever you prefer -- you may have less of this growth.

While a bummer on the glass if it is indeed corraline algae that's a great sign, and depending on how live your rock is, I'd try and scrape it off the glass gently and transplant it to the rocks ... that's where you want it!

Pics would help to know for sure what's going on....

Most reactions

Back