Unexpected Death Today

CKutz

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
534
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Chester/Lebanon, PA
came down this morning to see my swordtail floating about in my 30 gal.

I was pretty shocked, I haven't lost a fish in a few months. Even with my filters breaking down and switching around filters and going through a small cycle all my fish came out fine, no ick outbreak or anything.

The small cycle has been over for..eh about a month now..the tank has been pretty stable..somewhat fluctuating ph though.

ph: appears to be 7.4ish
ammonia: looks like trace amounts, yesterday there was none so maybe it's from the swordtail dying. very close to zero though, if any
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
temp: 82 F, 27.7 C

I just did a 50% waterchange monday. I know the temp is high, but it's really hot here at the moment and we don't have Central Air. I think the temp has been like this for over a week. At the moment i set up a box fan blowing towards the tank and an open window (i thought i read a post once where there was debate about this working, but idk what else to do).

The swordtail was fine yesterday. i fed frozen brine shrimp and he ate plenty.

The only thing is that the gourami and kribs would chase the swordtail around. I couldnt decide if it was too much or not..because the gourami just has moods, where he'll chase him for no apparent reason, but other times they will be fine, and the kribs just chase him if he comes near their cave. I've looked for his fins to be nipped but have never noticed it.

stocking:
m/f kribs, 4 yoyo loaches, 1 lavendar (blue) gourami

I think the swordtail was full grown so could he have just died? or just gotten to stressed from temp and possibly being chased.
swordtail didn't appear to have any signs of disease..his body looked a little tattered, but that could have happened after he died so idk. his one fin was definitely ripped up though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top