undergravel filters?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello everybody I recently just purchased a 10 gallon tank from an ad in the paper. Ihave never owned a tank before and i just have a question. I bought a 10 and a 5 gallon tank, they both came with undergravel filters. I was wondering how good they work and if its worth getting a better kind of filter. I also got 3 air pumps,airline,2 heaters, and some misc ornaments. The whole package was 20 dollars o i just couldnt pass up the deal. Thanks for your help :thumbs:

what powers the undergravel filters. In my opinion UGF are a pain. I never use one. but you may modify what ever power the uUGF to work fine on thier own.

there are two small air pumps powering it. seems powerful enough but im probably going to invest in a better filter thanks for your help. :thumbs:

recommend small powerhead with canister filter or like a small combe penguin for like 20 bucks. Or an eclipse hood if you want the best.

for a small tank like that a UGF should be enough (unless you intend to overstock).
Oh, and what fish are you planning on? some fish (most catfish for example) like to have a bit of current in the tank, and a UGF doesn't do much in terms of current, unless you are using a powerhead to operate it. Other fish, like bettas, need as little current as possible, and a UGF is perfect for a betta tank in my opinion :D

Good point dizzy- I never have a tank without a catfish. How could anyone have a tank without a cat?? is taht possible? another reason I dont use UGF. They are good for some people and inexpensive I must admit.

also with cichlids they are constantly digging and uncovering the plates which make the ugf's ineffective. also not alot of current going in in the tank.

maggie

Most reactions

Back