'under The Forest Canopy' Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

How are the Bolivian Rams doing SuperColey1? Would like to see pics of the tank and Rams if u have them :good:

I'll take some pics this weekend, but there are a few crypts that are springing up at the front via runners. lol

Bolivians are fine. The older 2 have spawned twice but I think she has eaten them both times. The juvy female is the outsider and IME the outsider often dies so fingers crossed that she doesn't.

To the other poster, I think you should read the whole journal. lol. This tank is absolutely crammed with cryptsso thats where I shall be getting them from. I shall remove them, trim roots and any dodgy leaves and then put them back in their new locations once new substrate/hardscape etc is sorted. Just got to buy the Parva to add to the others.

Andy

I'll take some pics this weekend, but there are a few crypts that are springing up at the front via runners. lol

Andy

Crypts do this, which I like a lot. The new arrangement sounds very promising. I am also a fan of T5 lighting, and have kept all my old fixtures in hopes of future setups. the 28W T5 fixture is the perfect light for my 20g, and it's probably cheaper now. Not that it was that expensive when I purchased them. They are much less expensive that Power Compacts. I've still not tried the Blyxia but I'm certain I will for future setups.

Look forward to seeing the pictures,

llj :good:

It seems this tank is jinxed!
The last scape journal ended with a CO2 dump killing off the inhabitants.
I'm afraid this journal will be ending on a sour note too.

My wife rang me at work this morning and it seems that my 3 year old son woke up and came downstairs on his own (we've tried stairgates etc but he makes mincemeat of them and has done for over a year!.) I think he was trying to emulate his dad (me) by copying my adding ferts to the tank. This wouldn't have been a problem apart from the fact that the fish cabinet is locked. He improvised andused washing up liquid.

When my wife awoke she came downstairs to a tank of bubbles and many dead bodies on the substrate. Good job I wasn't there or I may be on the 6 O clock news tonight.

Anyway, we now have a plant only tank which I shall be growing on to fill out the amount of Crypts in there for the next scape. This will still be in a couple of months time or a little less because I can now run the CO2 into the yellow.

One thing I had been meaning to post was that Bolivians had got Cammalanus worms in their intestines which began to show through last week. They were still full of colour and energetic so I was pretty confidednt that given the right medicine that this could be cured through the food method. I had ordered some Panacur (Dog Wormer) because there are no longer any decent fish meds available for this kind of thing and therefore we have to resort to using medicines intended for different animals. Levisimole is the best but is darned hard to get hold of in the UK, even when asking a vet for a prescription. Sods Law, this arrived today when there are no fish now that need deworming!!.

Oh well. This time I am not considering giving in because this is avoidable. The children's bedroom now has a bolt on the outside. A fire risk it maybe, but I consider this less of a risk than them in the kitchen each morning eating anything they want, drinking god knows what and having access to any implements they want (the cupboard locks are also no good anymore)

I think I will send my 3 year old on some Krypton Factor type competitions so that he can win me some money. Maybe I will buy him a Rubik's cube tomorrow.

Will post some pics in a few days once I have removed all the 'froth' in the tank.

Andy

I have put a bolt on the outside of the childrens door. they can no longer get out unless someone opens it from the outside of their bedroom. At other times of course being 2 and 3 years old the are supervised/cared for/played with etc.

This is the result of their mornings work. Was going to put some final pics on but this is what I have now. lol I have moved some pieces about just to give the crypts more room.
soapywater.jpg

bubbs.jpg

Andy

Kids aye :shifty: Maybe you should start teaching him about fish, letting him help you with things? Then that way he will appreciate the tank more, and know its yours and not to touch.

Can you tell i work with kids :lol:

That's rough. It's happened to me before. My best friend's two boys once dumped a whole container of flakes into a tank I had in IL. Killed a good-sized school of neons. :sick:

It looks like someone put Dish detergent in the tank. That is pretty frothy.

Watch for possible crypt melt, just incase, you don't know how the water chemistry could have been effected, and sometimes crypts can be twitchy. Funny, yours don't mind CO2, mine don't much care for it. I always get better crypts in my non-CO2 tanks for some reason. Probably something in my water that is different.

To the poster above. I do try to involve them with the tank which is the cause here!!!. My son has tried to do what I have been doing but with the wrong substance.

LLJ Yes it is washing up liquid.

Crypts are a strange species aren't they. I find that they like CO2 as much as any other plants. If it goes bad they get BBA just like the others and if running smoothly they stay clear.

GeorgeF says that he was leaving the CO2 on 24/7 as he found that the crypts seemed to grow better. Funny how tanks are different. I ran 24/7 and they didn't seem to grow better or worse so I went back to the solenoid.

I think it is the Ph drop/rise in certain waters that is probably the cause of Crypt melt as there seems to be no consistency in their reactions. Some people can put new crypts straight in their tank with no melting and others get melt even if they move the plant within the same tank. This is why I put it down to certain water parameters rather than any change at all.

Personally I get melt when I first plant a new specimen but they don't melt if I move them around within the tank. Saying that I don't really move them anymore anyway. lol

Damn pesky son got another smack today. Now he's locked in his bedroom and can't explore the house on his own he decided to take out his anger on the wardrobe totally trashing it. He will have to learn the hard way why he is getting no chocolate, biscuits, icecreams etc and why he is not being allowed to enjoy outside.

Punishment is hard but it worked for me.

Andy

I really feel for you, that is really not a good thing to have happened! At this point I am touching wood and saying that I am so glad that we have all daughters.........

Ade

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I feel your pain. I have a 2 year old nephew who is a raving loon. He nearly wiped out my Bolivian Ram pair and their two and half month old fry from my tank. He adjusted the thermometer of my external filter to 32 degrees Celsius. You really need eyes in the back of your head

Most reactions

Back