Under Gravel Filter - No Mech Filtration?

Tacklebury

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 22, 2007
Messages
343
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hampshire, Uk
Hi,

As the title says really. I have never used an under gravel filter before and since getting my hands on a 28ltr Aqua One tank I wondered about filtration?

I plan on having a few tetras and wondered if I need mechanical filtration rather than just a gravel filter.

How or maybe more accurate, is why use an under gravel filter and not a small filter with sponges, carbon etc like my 305 & Jewel internal use?

Size of the tank probably leans towards saving space?
 
i have the same tank as you .. in pink too lol, i was a bit confused when it came to cycling the filter that came with it,undergravel, so it was suggested to me to add a small internal, which i did..its black so can hardley be seen in the background either.. its one of those cheap ones from china off ebay,i used it in my fry tank before now.. tho saying all of this there isnt any media in the filter yet as its still as empty as it was 3 weeks ago ( cant decide on stocking for it) but when i need some ill just nick some out of one of my other tanks

my 320 see the filter to the right??

024-1.jpg


shelagh xxx
 
I've no experience of undergravel filters so I'd do what Shelagh's done and just stick in a small cheap internal myself.
 
Thanks shelagh.

The tank is due to be filled up later so if i get a chance i'll post some pics.
 
Undergravel filters provide mechanical and biological filtration. With the addition of carbon filters in their uplift tubes they can pull the trifecta. They aren't really top of the line technology however and have some major problems, mostly in junk building up under the grate and not being filtered. I've heard some people having success with a reverse undergravel system in conjunction with another HoB or canister filter.

I'd go with your own small internal filter and just ditch the undergravel system.
 
My thoughts exactly tyyrlym. I will remove the undergravel once i have the new internal filter.

Got the tank setup yesterday. Added some bogwood with Java moss attached, 2 platys and around 10 cherry shrimps. I used substrate from my mature tank and also removed about 20 ltrs of water, then topped up with dechlorinated tape water for the rest.

The otherhalf seems to be getting involved in my tanks now! Next up i want a tank for the entrance way, maybe 100-150 ltrs!
 
I would actually use a small sponge filter, this is what im using in my tank that is exactly the same as yours, they just run off a airpump and are easy to maintain.

this is the one im using ...

f901filter.jpg
 
I have a 3ft tank and use just an undergravel filter with no problems.
 
5teady, how does that work then? Does the airline pump air through the filter? I would have thought that sucking would draw the crap out of the water?
 
I got an undergravel filter with my aqua one 500 setup, after reading around, and the problems associated with the cleaning the grate i decided to go with an external canister filter, neat and tidy and has a stupid amount of filtration power, always better to over filter than under filter!
 
It works very much like an undergravel filter. You drop an airline down the tube with an airstone on the end and let the flow it induces draw water in through the sponge. The sponge does double duty, mechanically filtering out the junk and providing a site for bacteria to grow. Like a plain vanilla UGF there's no chemical filtration. The benefit is that the filter works well and doesn't make a lot of current. It's also pretty dang cheap as far as filters go.
 
This is mine, i use them on all my tanks except my 3ft one..

All you do is plug the airline tube in to the top, it forces the air down and then up through another chamber causing uplift for the suction to work..

they are great, on one of my big ones as well, i use a power to run it, superb...

shrimp tank runs off one
DSC01503.jpg


goldfish tank runs off one
DSC01504.jpg

DSC01322.jpg



BN's fry tank runs off smaller one
DSC01505.jpg


It works very much like an undergravel filter. You drop an airline down the tube with an airstone on the end and let the flow it induces draw water in through the sponge. The sponge does double duty, mechanically filtering out the junk and providing a site for bacteria to grow. Like a plain vanilla UGF there's no chemical filtration. The benefit is that the filter works well and doesn't make a lot of current. It's also pretty dang cheap as far as filters go.


Not these dont m8, they have chambers, the airline just plugs in top.
 
Ahh, fancier than the ones I've seen. The ones I've seen in person were DIY jobs.
 
Cheers 5teady for the pictures! They look perfect and don't seem to take up much room, i'll look into them.

The tank seems to be doing ok. Nitrite has gone up a wee bit, but so has the nitrate so i hope it should just about get by ok. Her-in-doors is going to do her first water change tomorrow, should be interesting!

Here's some pictures of it so far, needs work still, want to add some vallis runners i have and the obvious removal of the UGF.

26082008020small.JPG


26082008021small.JPG


26082008022small.JPG


Those plastic plants also need to go!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top