Uk Native Aquarium Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MudMinnow

Reaction score
Which native UK plants work well in an aquarium, and where can I obtain them? (Taking them out of wild environments risks bringing other organisms with them).

I remember in NZ there was an attempt to popularise the use of native aquatic plants to reduce the chance of escapes. I'm pretty sure I could be careful enough to prevent escapes from my own tank, but still like the idea of native plants.

Edit: Potamogeton crispus is native? Would it work in an aquarium or is it only suitable for ponds?

I don't think many Brits collect plants in the wild, but I have done a few times. In Britain, many of the rivers closer to the coast, and some not so (especially after heavy rains) turn into sewers.

I've only been swimming in a river once and was severely ill.

Anyway, when you are sure your river or lake is clean, make sure it's not a protected area for preservation as pulling out rare weeds isn't a good idea.

Finally, I've found it very hard to identify plants and a lot of it is trial and error.

Some plants are annual or perannial and nned to flower. Many species are marginal and need a good part of the stem above the water.

I've had great success with something that seems related to caboma. The best luck with your search.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back