types of goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hi wolf, i hope "Lateral line" has'nt discouraged you from posting in the future. You gave up some of your own time to help and inform people who want to keep coldwater fish and, i have to say, did a pretty good job of it. keep up the good work :good:

just a question - do all Ranchu have the headgrowth?

dave.

no, some do not have the head growth B)

I think youre both right. Some do and some dont

Here is a site below with some Jikin information. About a week ago I had posted a topic about what kind of goldfish mine was, however, I ended up coming to the conclusion that it was close to a Jikin, but turned out to be just a really weird goldfish.

http://www.kokos goldfish.com/JIKIN.html

**Enter the site into your url area then take the space out between kokos & goldfish. **

You missed lionheads and pandas. There are also short and long finned varieties of many types of fancies now.

But I'm not complaining it was great and I love how you started off with the most basic, original form of this fish, the dark brown colored commoner. Its not something you actually see too often in articles about goldfish. :good:

You missed lionheads and pandas.

lionhead is a UK generic term often applied to any golfish with a wen.
pandas? I asume you are refering to the so called 'panda moor' which is just a colour morph and
correctly called a globe-eye or telescope eye.

In the States, at least, the lionhead is known as something closely related to the ranchu but whose tail is at a different angle to the back, relative to the ranchu's tail.

I didn't know you used the term differently in the UK, but I will take your word for it. ;)

The pandas yes are just a color morph of the moores but are so beautiful I would have mentioned variation. Then again they are kindof a rarity here so maybe its not worth mentioning?

Anyway great article. :good:

you forgot koi. man thats a bummer because thats what i whent to this topic to look for.

you forgot koi. man thats a bummer because thats what i whent to this topic to look for.
yeah you should add koi because they are just like goldfish and are sometimes acidentally labelled as goldfish my cousin has one in a fishtank that he paid 50 pence for and it is a good looking thing at that

although the Kois' ancestry can be traced back to the gibel carp
they are not and never will be a goldfish,
additionally there are literally thousands of colour markings on koi
each with their own Japanese name.
there is not enough space here to include them.

if anyone wants to do a full list of Koi, then feel free to start your own post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back