Two Questions about java fern/moss

StanTheBetta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
1st question in my 10 gal will 17 watts of light be enough to grow java fern/moss?

2nd In my 20 long I'm going to have an UGF. Since java fern/moss don't really have roots will they be ok with an ugf. I've heard UGF aren't good for a lot of plants because it brings nutrients to the surface away from the roots.

So will these setups work? Also how about some kind of Anubias in the first or other low light plants?

Under gravel filter, duh. :p Ok, I can answer that. You're right. :nod: The only thing that the roots are used for is to anchor the plant down. The nutrients are extracted through the leaves.

However, 17 watts should work for the 10 gallon.

My Java ferns are doing well in my 5 gallon with 5 watt incandescent! Of course, I've got fluorescent lights in my room, mere feet from the tank.

UGF = Under Gravel Filter.

UGF's are not ideal for planted tanks, but not the disaster that some people would have you believe. When I was a kid, I had UGF's and my Swords were superb. Plants grow better without, but that is all.

As you say, the Java Moss and Fern are not planted anyway, so it isn't really a factor. With that amount of light, I think they'll be just fine. You could try a few Crypts or Anubias, you're not that dim, so maybe some Hygrophila polysperma although you should avoid the red cultivars.

BOth will grow in low to high light conditions, just not quickly with lower light levels.
They will both root to rocks or logs and do not have to be planted in the substrate so having an under gravel filter wont matter for these plants if you attach them to another surface. HTH :)

Thanks for your help everyone. I just have one more question. Will ghost shrimp munch on anubias, what about otos? I read somewhere that java ferns/moss taste horrid so animals aren't as likely to eat those so maybe I'm ok with those. I don't have shrimp or otos yet but I'm planning on getting some when my summer job starts :) Just wanted some imput on what would be better with the plants. Maybe this would be better suited for the tropical chit chat forum?

Oh and on a side note I measured my flur light in my 10 and its 17" but I can't seem to find anything except 18" flur lights and they're all 15 watts. Does the length of the light count the "prongs" or do I just have a weird light? This isn't important now because the light is only about 2 months old but I know I'll need to replace it after a year for plants I believe

Shrimps and Ottos rarely eat anything but the algae and extremely soft plants, Anubias is pretty tough stuff. I don't think either will eat it.

Take the lamp with you when you want a replacement then you'll be sure. Lengths are pretty standard.

You are correct about fluorescent lamps dimming with age. How much they deteriorate is a function of the quality of the end electrode construction, which in turn, is a function of the price. Cheap lamps fade much faster, and much further then higher quality lamps.

Most reactions

Back