Turtles

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SpEeDhOrN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
is it safe to keep turtles and tropical fish togeather ? as one of my friends has a small turtle which he keeps in his tropical fish tank with all his fish and it has lived in there with no hastle for 3 years. I went to my local fish store and they said the turtles would eat the fish. any ideas ?

Its not safe to keep even baby turtles in with tropical fish. I have three turtles and they would eat the fish if they got there hands on it. :lol:

when we used to keep our terrapins in with our fish, the second a fish died, it was gone before we even had a chance to get the net :sick: . it did look really cool, but i wouldnt' advise it, when we did our fish were quite a bit bigger than the terrapins, and therefore no problem.

the other reason against doing this is that terrapins need a place to get out of the water and bask, this means having a rock or something protruding from the waters surface, which means less water, and therefore less swimming space for the fish! :/

kat :)

once i won 3 goldfish at a funfair i didnt have a tank or bowl so i put them in my friends terrapin tank until i got one.by morning they were gone :/ not a trace

Well, a turtle's natural diet contains fish. I think some other factor is playing in with your friend's tank and turtle. Have you actually seen this setup? If so, would you mind explaining it to me, like, how they have it designed?

My bet is, if you haven't seen this tank, there is something not being told. Or maybe the individual turtle doesn't care for the fish in the tank, or is too small to eat them. Or perhaps there are a ton of hiding spots for the fish, but I'd imagine some would still get eaten.

my friends tank is a 3ft tank containing guppys, a silver shark, some gouramis and one turtle. for decoration there is 1 large piece of drift wood at one end for basking and 2 other small pieces submerged in the tank. there isnt many plants about 5 and all are plastic. as for filteration etc just ur basic tropical setup e.g. external filter

Most reactions

Back