Turning The Filter Off?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LongS

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Amature question, but have to move tank upstairs to my bedroom. Filter is noisey and will probably keep me awake.

Can i turn the filter off at night ? and just keep the heater on ?

does anybody do this?

do not do this, because it will have mini cycles. i have the same problem, try getting a internal filter for your tank they are much easier on sleeping ears :good:

Agree, its designed to be on all the time. Everything starts to go wrong if you turn it off like that. You are describing a classic problem - old "re-beginners" like me have lots to learn but one thing we remember is how noisy this equipment can be when used in one of your living areas. When I returned to the hobby I went to great pains figuring out the noise thing before even buying any equipment. The suggestion about using an internal filter is excellent (and might even be enhanced by members who might suggest to you which are reliable and superquiet and good filters!) and is a much less expensive option than going to a high-end external cannister, which also can be a very quiet option of course.

~~waterdrop~~

Is it noisy because of mechanical noise? Or because of water noise?

If it is mechanical I would suspect it is about to fail. If it is water noise, how full do you have the tank?

The water noise from my hob varies depending on the tank's water level. The fuller the tank the less the noise but it is never completely quiet.

I have an hob on the tank in my bedroom. It was partly an experiment as my wife has trouble sleeping. The water noise has actually helped her sleep, at least according to her. Of course I keep the tank very full but it is still heard. We just think of it as a bubbling brook.

You might also look at how it fits on the tank. I cut away some, not all, of the trim so the filter outlet would sit lower in the water. That helped quiet it, but it is still water noise.

HTH.

Greg

well i have a spray bar on and this doesn't bother me too much. Its more the mechanical noise, like the humming of the filter.

Im guessing my filter is an internal one as it sticks to the inside of the glass in the corner?

You could have an under gravel filter as these sometimes come from a powerhead in the corner which is attached to the glass with suckers connected to the filter plates to a spray bar at the top of the tank. If you can I would suggest replacing with a proper internal like a Fluval 2 or 3 depending on the size of your tank, or a proper external, but I can't really reccomend any more as I don't know how big your tank is. Have you got any info, tank size, make, model, and filter type and make and model if you can find out.

In short you can't turn the filter off for any length of time without risking bacteria dying off and causing a mini cycle. You'll have to find some other way of making it quiter. Also you can't be sure that you'll remember to turn the filter back on every day or if you have it on a timer that it will start reliably time after time. It really needs to run continuously.

Sounds like a Juwel tank with the internal filter. Mine can be noisey if I try to hear it if that makes sense? but I did what someone above said and lowered the water level so you can just hear water splashing/rippling and it drowns it out and its quite relaxing :D Good for aeration too!

ok i suppose i will just just leave it on then. its no bother really just a wee bit annoying.

My tank is an elite 95 with an elite jet flo 100 filter that came with it.

Any advice on this?

It's a basic internal filter, should be generally quiet, just make sure the impeller is clean and moves freely, any obstruction could restrict filter flow and increase impeller noise.

i had a stingray 15(crap) and now a fluval 2plus underwater filter in my tank, and never hear a single noise at all!!

the only noise i get is from my air pump but that goes off at night and only comes back on again when i get home from work!!

i had a stingray 15(crap) and now a fluval 2plus underwater filter in my tank, and never hear a single noise at all!!

the only noise i get is from my air pump but that goes off at night and only comes back on again when i get home from work!!

The Fluval 2 plus is an excellent filter, either that or the Fluval 3 plus should do the trick for your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back