Tubifex?

matchstickman47

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
1,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
london UK
why do peeps think its dirty
what is it, is it the shimp in the bags of water?
do fish like it?

the only meat stuff i put in frozen, flake sinking pelettes and micro wafers
 
I woudn't bother feeding it. I won't risk tubilex worms.
 
Hi matchstickman47 :)

Freeze dried tubifex are safe to use as part of a balanced diet, if you have fish that need meaty food. They should be reconstituted before the fish eat them. With some species, it is thought to cause constipation.

Live tubifex worms are not as easily found these days. My fish will happily eat them if I can't get blackworms, but there is the potential health risk to consider. In the UK, where live bloodworms are available, they are a safer choice than tubifex.
 
Tubifex are considered "dirty" becasue they can and have been found living in outflow of actual sewage...they are insanely adaptable to environment and all sorts of pollutants...but not all worms are polluted...irradiation is harmless...whether you know it or not LOADS of human foodstuffs are irradiated prior to supermarkets...it is not like loading it with plutonium or something...they just shoot gammas at it and it kills all the nasties without leaving radioactive material behind (which is why Gamma rays).

I have a live tubifex culture and have sustained it for MONTHS!!! my fish go berserk for them!!!

cheers!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top