Trying to decide how many swordtails

Polardbear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing some rearranging and looking for some opinions. I have a 75 gallon corner tank, the surface area is 679.5 sq inches, it's 26 inches deep and has sand for the substrate. For filtration I'm using an AquaClear 500 and an Emperor 400 and I usually also have a couple of sponge filters in the tank in case I need to set up another tank. There are 11 paleatus corys (none over 1.5 inches), 2 julii corys (both about 1.5 inches) and one schwartzi cory (also about 1.5 inches).

Keeping in mind that the corys are "permanent residents", how many adult swordtails would be reasonable to have in there? My largest female is about 3 inches and most of the others are about 2.5 inches. There will only be one male in the tank (Terrel doesn't play well with other males). I usually remove fry when they are born and raise them in a seperate tank. I do weekly water changes of 20-30%. I'm trying to figure out how many I can keep in here without overloading the biological filter.

About 15 so you still have some room for other fish in future (or your swordie fry).

Most reactions

Back