Trouble with ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Andrev313

Reaction score
Hey guys Iā€™m new to owning an aquarium. I have started a tropical tank and began a cycle about two weeks ago. These are the levels Iā€™m at right now and I am struggling with getting rid of ammonia and could use help.
Thanks

Attachments

• E073C4A0-E2AA-4EF8-BA35-ED0C3DFC7D8A.jpeg
    E073C4A0-E2AA-4EF8-BA35-ED0C3DFC7D8A.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 66
Stop adding food and let the nitrites rise and consume the ammonia.
Once ammonia drops below 1ppm start adding more food, pinch a day or two.
How many gallons or litres is your tank?

Good size for first tank.. ammonia has shot up fast for two weeks. You're on track, two weeks isn't long at all. It may take up to 6 - 8 weeks
Next time you feed just use a pinch for say three fish.
Are you adding any liquid bacteria like seachem stability?
Also what filtration are you running?

Ok awesome! I was worried about it but Iā€™m glad itā€™s on track , yes I add stability and I have a nanoflow aqua one 150 filter.

Nice one bud.. sounds like you know what you're doing.
Just be patient, keep testing your water and good luck.
Some other, more experienced people will hopefully add to this.

When I did a fishless cycle it took 3 weeks for the ammonia to drop. Unless you are using a bottled bacteria product (and one that works) it is a slow process.

I can't really tell from your photo, but don't let ammonia go over 3 ppm. If it's over 3 ppm, do a water change big enough to reduce the level to 3 ppm.
Once you get it to 3 ppm, don't add any more food until the ammonia drops. Too much ammonia makes so much nitrite the cycle stalls. You can still use the fishless cycle on here - you need to wait until ammonia drops below 0.75 and nitrite is over 2 ppm. Then you can add more fish food. It will be more difficult to follow the method exactly with fish food, but you can still add food only when you reach the same targets.

When I did a fishless cycle it took 3 weeks for the ammonia to drop. Unless you are using a bottled bacteria product (and one that works) it is a slow process.

I can't really tell from your photo, but don't let ammonia go over 3 ppm. If it's over 3 ppm, do a water change big enough to reduce the level to 3 ppm.
Once you get it to 3 ppm, don't add any more food until the ammonia drops. Too much ammonia makes so much nitrite the cycle stalls. You can still use the fishless cycle on here - you need to wait until ammonia drops below 0.75 and nitrite is over 2 ppm. Then you can add more fish food. It will be more difficult to follow the method exactly with fish food, but you can still add food only when you reach the same targets.
+1 to the above...I would add that raising the tank temp to about 82F will aid in beneficial bacteria growth.
Warmer water holds less oxygen, so make sure you have plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange...a bubbler helps with this.

Awesome thanks for this!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back