Tropical Parrot Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

are you aware that parrot fish are the subject of cross breeding?

• yes

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

deftuch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
anything and everything to do with parrot fish. heres a quick link to get you started.

http://cichlidresearch.com/parrot.html BLOOD PARROT CICHLID, PARROT FISH, DYED PARROT. ALL THE SAME FISH :)

Well I own a Hoplarchus psitticus and they are stunning fish I don't know who thought deforming them would be a good idea

I do agree that blood parrots should stop being sold :good: :sick:

I used to had parrot fish for more than 10 years. When I bought them I didn't know they were actually corss breed, I just liked the red color and they somewhat look like a parrot. I liked them but will I own another parrot fish again, the answer is no.

I own one now. I did my research and was shocked to find out the truth about these fish. They have a deformed spine and mouth. They cant fully close there mouths so they use there throat muscles instead. I think my parrot fish is great. But i havent made my mind up whether to buy any more.

I currently have one, purchased It after researching on the internet for beginner cichlid- the blood parrot was the most popular due to adapting easier as they dont thrive/require a specific temp or pH etc and are a relativly peaceful cihlid.
So I decided to purchase it- £20 for a hybrid fish i thought was ridiculous yet I paid it due to being a good beginners cichlid. On further research I read all the deformaties but it was too late- the ink dyes put me off long before purchasing but thought the natural red colouration would be acceptable.

I do enjoy watching my blood parrot, but wouldnt purchase another one as I have become more knowledgable with fish and believe it it is wrong as it is man made hybridized fish that would not occur in the wild.

I never researched before i got one. But when i did buy him. He went in my cousins tank for 3 weeks. In that time he moved him from tank to tank and was mistreated in a dirty tank. I had no choice but to leave him in my cousins care. Finnaly when i got him in my tank i realised just how resiliant these fish are to water conditions! Ky parrot fish i feel is rare. As he has a noticable personality. He is veryt aware of what goes on atound him in the tank and also what im doing. He stares at me all the time and when i move my arm he will flinch. Hes always getting into tight spaces and hard to reach areas. Such as caves,tunnels and through plants. I think they should be taken of the market but seems as they are not i also recomend you buy one. May as well give them a good home while there still up for sale.

I never researched before i got one. But when i did buy him. He went in my cousins tank for 3 weeks. In that time he moved him from tank to tank and was mistreated in a dirty tank. I had no choice but to leave him in my cousins care. Finnaly when i got him in my tank i realised just how resiliant these fish are to water conditions! Ky parrot fish i feel is rare. As he has a noticable personality. He is veryt aware of what goes on atound him in the tank and also what im doing. He stares at me all the time and when i move my arm he will flinch. Hes always getting into tight spaces and hard to reach areas. Such as caves,tunnels and through plants. I think they should be taken of the market but seems as they are not i also recomend you buy one. May as well give them a good home while there still up for sale.

Someone sells a product is because there is demand of the product, if there is no demand then no one will waste time to try selling it. So if you don't want to see people keep cross breeding them then we should not be buying them. However, I agree that if you already own one then please love it.

Maybe in the hybrid section? Or the New World Cichlid section?
The only parrots that I really like is the King Kong Parrot.
I don't mind bp's, the only thing with them are their mouths.

No, because they are 'man made' and not found in any natural habitat. I saw a 10 inch true parrot for sale last weekend. Stunning. Wish I could have bought it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back