Tropical fish shops

jim a

Reaction score
Hello again folks, macquatic you might help me with this one, i am going up to Nairn at the weekend for a weeks holiday, is there any decent shops up that neck of the woods i can have a look around, also i have heard that there is a big one in Dundee any comments about it people?.
Ta, Jim.

Hi Jim. Theres not much there as far as I know, but only go that way on holliday.
In Dundee, if your talking about House of pisies (spelling) or aka Scotland aquatics superstore. IMO it's a dive. Everytime I've been there it's never been well kept. Dead fish all over the place.

But if your going there, head to UDA in cupar. It's a good shop and has just expanded ;)

Hi Davy, yes that's the one i was thinking of in Dundee, i've only ever seen their ads in some of the magazines so thats why i was asking, just as well i did by the look of it. I might have a scout around 2nd week of the hols as we will be back home.
Cheers, Jim. :)

:D Hi jim, there's a small pet shop in Nairn opposite the bus station, only got about 6 tanks. Inverness: - Acorn pets at bus station a few tanks , sometimes has oddball stuff: -Merkinch pets bottom of Academy St. 20 odd tanks inc. marines, not much in just now, I was in today and the fish side is very quiet so they're not taking in much stock.
House of Pisces in Dundee is bogging!!! they only moved about 2-3 years ago and is just as bad as the old shop!!!! The thing is that he imports and gets decent fish but keeps them in "poo" conditions. If you get anything in Dundee, quarantine it properly!!! Might be able to arrange a meet, pm me if you want. :thumbs: Mac.

Oops forgot about Pets at Home, Retail Park on left on A96 just coming into Invss, same as any other PaH...boring!!

:thumbs: D & I Tropicals in Lossiemouth about 4 miles from Elgin. Nice clean and tidy shop very well maintained. 30 odd tanks inc. marines and discus. Well worth a visit. ;) Mac.

Hi, everyone. I am new to these forums, and will be soon moving to Lossiemouth. I am glad to hear there is a decent aquatic shop in lossie itself. I am moving up from Oxford. I am currently trying to plan the best way to move my tank and fish, without too much stress, to me and the fish! any advice on transporting the fish would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Hobbes!

Go to main page/articles/moving home. Haven't read it myself, but I'm sure it's prob. just what you're lookin' for. :)

Why anyone would want to go to Nairn beats me. It took me years to get out of the place. lol It does have a "bermuda Triangle" though. (Mac will know what I'm talking about)lol As for where to go all the old places in Inverness that I know of have been closed for years. Lossiemouth comes well recomended though.

Thanks guys for the welcome, and the tips. My plan is this...
1. setup another tank at Inlaws house, in a couple of weeks gradually transfer my fish, a couple of Angels, Silver sharks, Kribs and community fish.
2. Make the move to Lossiemouth, Taking my own tank and getting it setup and running, probably using the fishless cycle i have read about.
3. When i come back down for Christmas and new year to visit the Inlaws, Transport the fish when i travel back up. I am considering 'Great Lakes' idea, about using a camping cooler to transport them in.

What do you reckon :zz:

:) Hi Hobbes, welcome to the "Madhouse". I'm going to assume you're in the RAF, otherwise who'd move to Lossie!!!Your plan sounds OK, I live in Inverness and if you need fish lodgings I've plenty room if it helps. :thumbs: Mac.

Hi Hobbes! ...and welcome! :)

Sound's like a good plan to me m8! :D

Cheers Feargal, and thanks for the offer Macquatic, and yes you guessed right. :hehe: I have just set up the tank at the In-laws today, so will start moving the fish across in a few weeks. On a different note, I am really looking forward to moving up there, Hopefully last half of October. i've been told its a lovely part of the country. Hobbes

Most reactions

Back