Tropical Fish Recommendations?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

greengoddess

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My poor fancy goldfish passed away yesterday after 5 years :-(

Anyway, he was the last cold water fish in my tank so I now have the opportunity to stock tropical fish for the first time. I would like some recommendations for some easy to care for fish that are amazing to look at with very bright colours. I am not interested in Guppies. My kids would love a clownfish.

Here's my setup:

240litre tank (50 gallon)
pH 7.5
8 x White cloud mountain minnows
1 x Bristlenose Pleco

So, what would you recommend? I don't want the fish to fight or eat each other and I want fish that are relatively easy to care for. I also don't mind buying expensive fish.

I think some Pictus Catfish would be great to add activity and energy to the set up.

They only grow to a max 5" great fish to keep, a shoal of 4-5 would look great :)

catfish4ever said:
I think some Pictus Catfish would be great to add activity and energy to the set up.

They only grow to a max 5" great fish to keep, a shoal of 4-5 would look great
smile.png
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for something more colourful. I am only an amateur so haven't got a clue what types of fish are out there but I have seen some wonderfully colourful ones. 

greengoddess said:

They only grow to a max 5" great fish to keep, a shoal of 4-5 would look great
smile.png
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for something more colourful. I am only an amateur so haven't got a clue what types of fish are out there but I have seen some wonderfully colourful ones. 

In this case i would go for some rainbowfish, amazing silver/orange tangerine like colour, really do stand out and are very peaceful from my experience

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss! 
rip.gif

Pictus catfish are not suitable for this tank unfortunately. They need a 48x18in IIRC.

Your WCMM prefer more temperate water so I'd recommend re-homing them.

You said your kids would love a clownfish..are you going to be doing saltwater or freshwater? Also is your water soft or hard?

Ninjouzata said:
Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss! 
rip.gif

Pictus catfish are not suitable for this tank unfortunately. They need a 48x18in IIRC.

Your WCMM prefer more temperate water so I'd recommend re-homing them.

You said your kids would love a clownfish..are you going to be doing saltwater or freshwater? Also is your water soft or hard?

Thank you :)

I will be doing freshwater. Our water is very soft. I have no plans to re-home my WCMM but I won't replace them once they've gone. Any bright coloured compatible fish suggestions welcome :)

I can't really suggest anything as tropical fish usually prefer it around 75 and up. The WCMM's max temp is 71. So perhaps it could be more of a temperate tank? :)
Hara jerdoni would be fine at the temps the WCMM like. They're really cute little catfish. Not colorful though. Hmmm.. I will start looking around. Hopefully someone with more experience in cooler water fish will come along soon.

If you do not want to remove your WCMM you would need fish to suit their temperature. The american flag fish is a really nice fish, in that size tank you could get away with a group 2 males and 6 females, males on their own though will fight.

There is a good article here on temperate fish you may like.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5351

The american flag fish in the pic is a pretty poor one, their colours should be much more vibrant than that one shown. 

Pictus cats would eat WCMM

Thank you very much for the advice. I didn't even know there were such things as temperate fish before today. I will have a read through the article.

Many thanks 
beer.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back