What's new

Treating for White Spot

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Jennifer Iles

Reaction score
Hi all,
My blue Gourami recently displayed signs of white spot, I have treated the whole tank with Blue Planet, White Spot remedy as per instructions, it is now 3 days since first treatment and the white spots are still present on his body, does it normally take a while for it to work??

It should begin working in the first day of 2. I'm unfimiloar with that product.

Im conjuction with following the instructions on the medication, raise the temperature slowly over the next 24 hours to 86

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Medication can only kill the parasite in its free swimming stage

The parasite has three stages. The first is on the fish where it covers itself with a coating and feeds off the fish. Meds can't touch it at this stage.
When it has reached a certain size, it leaves the fish and encases itself in a sort of cyst and multiplies. Meds can't touch it in this stage either.
The final stage is where the cyst opens and hundreds of tiny parasites swim off searching for a fish. This is the only stage a med can kill the parasite.

The spots on your fish will fall off when they are ready. There must be some med in the tank when every last cyst splits to release the 'baby' parasites which is why most meds say to continue dosing after the spots have gone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back