Transporting Fish / Oxygen Tablets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Westcoaster

Reaction score
Has anyone used the oxygen tablets with any success?
My dilemma is I'm on holiday about 4 1/2 hrs away from home, I've seen a golden nugget plec in a fish shop but they don't have pure oxygen for transport. They have offered a poly box and suggested oxygen tabs for the bag?
The box I agree but its the oxygen tabs I don't have any experience of. Help

I've seen them being used and they look OK to me. They just give off small bubbles. Putting your finger in the box and flipping it about to create surface aggitation and gas exchange every 10 mins will be fine :good:

You should be fine.

When I bought both my Severum and Snowball Plec (a bari-ancistrus like the GN) I kept them in a bag with a coat wrapped round them for around 8 hours each and they were fine. No issues at all.

A "Bag Buddies" tablet in each fish bag might help considering the travelling time with an oxygen sensitive catfish, calming the fish; releasing oxygen; neutralising some ammonia.

Tizer got it right. The biggest issue with bagging and shipping fish is the water weight. However, when you are personally transporting you are free to use bigger bags and more water as this has no effect on cost. There is little need for added oxygen in this case. As the bag water naturally sloshes around it will help exchange O and co2 between the water and the air. More of a concern is temp. You don't want to leave the bag in a closed parked car in the sun- it becomes an oven, etc.

I have shipped bn plecos from New York to Alaska in early April, had the box take 4+ days and the only loss was the one fish that got caught in the folds of the bag.

If you get worried about the air in the bag along the way, just open the bag, blow fresh air into it and iyts fine. Yes you can fill a bag to capacity by using your breath-most of what we exhale is O anyway.

I hate bag buddies, They turn the water blue which makes it impossible to test.

the only loss was the one fish that got caught in the folds of the bag.

Had the same experience once, fortunately most fish shops here have curved corners now, however, if they dont i make them find some tape. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back