Transfer To New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Iainang

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 60l Biorb, got 14 fish and 2 shrimp in it at the moment, thinking of getting a bigger tank, gor perfect space for a big wall tank.

Was concerned about the tranfer of my current fish though, would i set up new tank, do the fishless cycle for a few weeks and then transfer my fish? Would i only add a few at a time over a few days?

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Also, any good deals that anyone knows of on tanks would be appreciated.

Cheers.

You need to set up the new tank and run it for a day or two, just to sort out the aquascaping, planting, check for leaks, ensure the filter and heater are running correctly, etc.

Then you can move all the media from your biorb (is it that alfagrog stuff?) into your new filter and move all the fish at the same time. Try and think of the filter media as paired with the fish rather than the tank or the filter.

You'll need to feed sparingly and test often for the first week or so, as sometimes you get a little bit of die-back of the bacteria resulting in a -mini-cycle' but that's quite unusual and you shouldn't have any problems :)

I shoul think you do need to either upgrade tanks or re-home some fish, as that does sound like a lot for a 60l! What kinds of fish do you have?

You need to set up the new tank and run it for a day or two, just to sort out the aquascaping, planting, check for leaks, ensure the filter and heater are running correctly, etc.

Then you can move all the media from your biorb (is it that alfagrog stuff?) into your new filter and move all the fish at the same time. Try and think of the filter media as paired with the fish rather than the tank or the filter.

You'll need to feed sparingly and test often for the first week or so, as sometimes you get a little bit of die-back of the bacteria resulting in a -mini-cycle' but that's quite unusual and you shouldn't have any problems :)

I shoul think you do need to either upgrade tanks or re-home some fish, as that does sound like a lot for a 60l! What kinds of fish do you have?

thanks for your info.

The current stock is

2 Swordtails
2 Neon
4 Glowlight Tetra
3 Rummynose tetra
2 guppy
1 Rosy Tetra
2 Algae eating shrimp.

The male swordtail was born in the tank, and is now full size.

i swapped my tank 4 weeks ago from a 80litre to a 180 litre tank... everything was working fine and i got my fish in there within 2 hours... used all the water from my old tank to fill it, left it for a hour to settle with both external pump on full and internal pump on. didnt loose a single fish in the transfer :D

Gosh, you do need a larger tank then!

First thing I'd suggest once you get your new one up and running is to increase the numbers of your shoaling fish to 6+ of each species; they'll be much happier and act more naturally :)

How big is your swordtail?

Gosh, you do need a larger tank then!

First thing I'd suggest once you get your new one up and running is to increase the numbers of your shoaling fish to 6+ of each species; they'll be much happier and act more naturally :)

How big is your swordtail?

I thought my stock level was ok?? A bit worried now, had my tank 18 months, went 8 months with no lost fish at all, lost 3 recently, so thats when i added the 3 rummynose.

I lost 2 neon, and 1 female swordtail.

Had 2 female swordtail for over a year, after 6 weeks, i noticed some fry in the tank, one of them survived and is now a fully grown male swordtail, just last week i noticed another small swordtail between the stones at the bottom.

I thought all was ok with my stock levels, as i went a good amount of time with no loss, and all fish seemed happy and healthy, what would you receommend?

Oh yeah... I'd go with a 4 foot tank. :drool:

Lots of other options as well... but a 4 footer would really open up your stocking options... (Is this on the ground floor?)

I know a lot of people don't like it for various reasons, but I find the 'one inch of adult fish per gallon of water' to be a useful rule of thumb for beginners. Your tank is 13 gallons, so that means 13" of fish in total.

I'm not sure you realise how large swordtails are supposed to be; you say your male is 'fully grown', so he should be 4 or 5" long...

2 Swordtails = 8"
2 Neon = 2"
4 Glowlight Tetra = 8"
3 Rummynose tetra = 12"
2 guppy = 2"
1 Rosy Tetra = 2"
2 Algae eating shrimp = you can discount these as their bioload is so small (unless you have hundreds of them!)

total = 34"; well, well overstocked IMO.

I know a lot of people don't like it for various reasons, but I find the 'one inch of adult fish per gallon of water' to be a useful rule of thumb for beginners. Your tank is 13 gallons, so that means 13" of fish in total.

I'm not sure you realise how large swordtails are supposed to be; you say your male is 'fully grown', so he should be 4 or 5" long...

2 Swordtails = 8"
2 Neon = 2"
4 Glowlight Tetra = 8"
3 Rummynose tetra = 12"
2 guppy = 2"
1 Rosy Tetra = 2"
2 Algae eating shrimp = you can discount these as their bioload is so small (unless you have hundreds of them!)

total = 34"; well, well overstocked IMO.

Thats worrying mate, thanks for pointing this out. Would say you are right with the swordtails, the rummynose tetra are not that big tho, they are same size as my Neon, but still sems a bit overstocked.

How have they all done so well then?

I do keep up with my water changes, do them weekly, about 30% water changes.

Oh yeah... I'd go with a 4 foot tank. :drool:

Lots of other options as well... but a 4 footer would really open up your stocking options... (Is this on the ground floor?)

There is a chest there just now, kids toy chest, so it could go on top of that, or we could move the chest and get a cabinet for the tank to sit on.

Any links of tanks you recommend?

If you have the funds, I'd opt for the dedicated tank stand. If you put it on the toy chest, it'll either keep you from using the chest (if there's a top lid), or the fish in the tank will panic every time someone opens and shuts a door or pulls out a drawer, if it's that kind of chest.

Plus, you'll have all your fish keeping supplies in one place if you get a stand, and if it has cabinet doors the supplies are out of sight.
good.gif

Thats worrying mate, thanks for pointing this out. Would say you are right with the swordtails, the rummynose tetra are not that big tho, they are same size as my Neon, but still sems a bit overstocked.
I was using the eventual, adult size of the fish to work that out, as fish need to have room to grow into :)

How have they all done so well then?

I do keep up with my water changes, do them weekly, about 30% water changes.
Because they're juveniles and your maintanence regime is good :)

There is a chest there just now, kids toy chest, so it could go on top of that, or we could move the chest and get a cabinet for the tank to sit on.

Any links of tanks you recommend?
Hopefully someone will be along to recommend something at some point (I get all my tanks second hand, and I'm mean so they're tatty, lol) but I would recommend you get a proper stand or cabinet to go with it; normal furniture just isn't made to take the weight (which is a lot for larger tanks).

If you have the funds, I'd opt for the dedicated tank stand. If you put it on the toy chest, it'll either keep you from using the chest (if there's a top lid), or the fish in the tank will panic every time someone opens and shuts a door or pulls out a drawer, if it's that kind of chest.

Plus, you'll have all your fish keeping supplies in one place if you get a stand, and if it has cabinet doors the supplies are out of sight.
good.gif

Very good points made there mate, i think the cabinet will be the option i go for.

A little worried about the stocking level now though, until i have get the new tank i will really keep on top of maintenance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back