Toria's New 240L Planted Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

toria899

Reaction score
Hi I have a 240l fluval roma and decided to make it into a planted aquarium with a massive piece of bog-wood for my main focal point to the left hand side underneath the base of the bog-wood I have used jbl aqua basis pro and sand to cap it with a divider separating the sand and jbl aqua basis pro from the gravel, this is where the main plants will be planted.

I have 2 heaters and 2 ehiem external filters which both are the e700.

My lights over the tank is a 4ft Arcadia with 4 54w T5s marine white and marine blue lights

I am currently looking at making myself a DIY co2 kit but hasn't made a final decision on that until I have done abit more research.

this is what i have achieved so far

403308_10151266291080061_770080060_22863886_1290260516_n.jpg

in this picture added plants from my old set-up but not sure on where to plant them yet as waiting for the water to settle

401390_10151266266190061_770080060_22863862_1682249941_n.jpg

Moved the fish and one of the filters with half of thier old water into a temporary tank and was wondering if i added the old water and used the same filters which had already cycled how long could i wait before adding the fish back to the new set-up? Or would i get a mini cycle?

you might find problems with blue lighting for planted tanks when it comes to algae. i've always been told to steer clear of blues, honestly cant remember why, but might be worth you reading into it. You can move fish in as soon as the temp allows, cant see any reason for a cycle.

Lol ok :) wishing i did it sooner as i have never seen my rainbows so colourful before and my plec so active.

Also was so happy with the effects went and spent out on plants really looking forward to aquascaping it now

you might find problems with blue lighting for planted tanks when it comes to algae. i've always been told to steer clear of blues, honestly cant remember why, but might be worth you reading into it. You can move fish in as soon as the temp allows, cant see any reason for a cycle.

Please explain this to shoal grass then. ;) It doesn't really matter. I've had friends with successful planted setups that used marine lighting, just with less intensity.

Ultimately, it's what's aesthetically pleasing to you. Most planted tanks "look" best at around 6500-10000k. I'm personally really disliking the yellow of a 6500k now and will be opting for much cooler colors in my next tank. Me, the one who used to adore tannic tanks now really hates a yellow tinge. Hahahaha, if any of you know me, you'll understand the irony.

L

Please explain this to shoal grass then. ;) It doesn't really matter. I've had friends with successful planted setups that used marine lighting, just with less intensity.

Ultimately, it's what's aesthetically pleasing to you. Most planted tanks "look" best at around 6500-10000k. I'm personally really disliking the yellow of a 6500k now and will be opting for much cooler colors in my next tank. Me, the one who used to adore tannic tanks now really hates a yellow tinge. Hahahaha, if any of you know me, you'll understand the irony.

L

I wish i could explain it! But im too lazy to absorb the information, when things get technical i have a tendancy to switch off :D

L

I wish i could explain it! But im too lazy to absorb the information, when things get technical i have a tendancy to switch off :D

Me too. :D So I'm not explaining mine either.

As long as the blue light has enough of a peak in the green part of the spectrum, it should look okay.

I accidentally bought an arcadia light with a marine hybrid lamp in it, and that looked absolutely horrid for a planted tank - very dim and the plants appeared a dirty violet colour rather than green, presumably because there just wasn't enough green light for them to reflect.

Love the wood in this tank, by the way - really impressive! Look forward to seeing it fully planted :good:

Plants arrived but still not enough so ordered more especially plants for bogwood and this is what i have done so far sorry pics aint very good used my phone

pics from left to right of my tank

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

423818_10151297638345061_770080060_22952290_1009137144_n.jpg

I am insanely jealous of that wood. I have been looking for a similar piece for months.

I am struggling on to where to plant more plants as don't want to plant it to densely as I still will need plenty of room for the fish.
Also how close should i plant the plants together as im scared that some will shadow some others or will over take the smaller plants or would they be ok? Sorry if its a stupid question its just this is my first planted tank.

Most reactions

Back