Top Of Water

dave_m13

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Rugby
Hi All

Not sure where to put this, so thought i'd try here.

On one of my 54 litre tanks, that has a large piece of wood, the lighting in it seems to be very dark and plants do not seem to be growing particularly well, even Java Moss looks bad, all brown, although its near to the lights. This is compared to my other 54 litre tank which is thriving, both have exactly same lighting and set-up.

Every couple of days I notice that there is a thin layer of, I can only discribe it as a sort of oily looking substance, I have moved the internal filter up slightly so the is more water movement to disburse it but always seems to be there after 3-5 days.

Any Ideas on what could be causing it, my thoughts are the wood but not sure

Cheers
Dave
 
If you are only having the problem in one of your tanks, it's probably related to something you got into the tank. I have a similar issue but it is in all my tanks because of my tap water. I can leave a bucket of water sitting for a few days and it will film over.

If it is something that has gotten into the tank, you may have to break it down and start over to get in out. Moving the filter should help. You can also use an airstone to help keep the film broken up.
 
This can also be caused by a build up of proteins and fats, usually caused by overfeeding or feeding particularly protein rich foods.

If you can skim it off the surface, that will help, but in my experience will never eradicate the problem.

Another way to help it is to lay tissues flat on the surface of the water. The film will stick to the tissue and you lift the tissue off, removing the film with it.

Good luck! :good:

BTT
 
This can also be caused by a build up of proteins and fats, usually caused by overfeeding or feeding particularly protein rich foods.

If you can skim it off the surface, that will help, but in my experience will never eradicate the problem.

Another way to help it is to lay tissues flat on the surface of the water. The film will stick to the tissue and you lift the tissue off, removing the film with it.

Good luck! :good:

BTT

I bet you its the bloody blood worms, only used them about 2/3 times in the past month, was just to see whether the fish would eat them, only smallish fish, I usually just feed cyclops.

Well I will not be feeding blood worms from now on.

Oh well will just have to keep an eye on it, see if it breaks up or I will have to start again

Thanks
Dave
 
I don't think it's necessary to start again to be honest. It will almost certainly be that the food you are feeing is too propein rich, or that you are simply over-feeding.

Cut down on feeding meantime, and if it doesn't clear up, try changing the food you use.

You could also try removing it as i said above but sometimes thats just frustrating because no matter how much you remove, it seems to make no difference.

Finding and eliminating the cause is the way to go. :good:

BTT
 
I've had similar issues with scum, nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it thinking I'd poisoned my fish with handcream or summat.

I now put an extra little filter at the surface to agitate my 30g, this eliminated the problem there although I still get it from time to time on my betta tank (which has less flow).

If you have hard water then this contributes to the problem. Probably because the limescale in it forms a scum anyway, which any waterborne fat / protein then 'sticks' to (this happens in cups of tea here too, ewwww :sick: )

If it is just this tank and the plants etc not doing well either, could it be that the scum is partially made up of decaying matter from them / the bogwood? Have you thought of removing the wood and seeing if that helps? Have you been feeding worms to your other tanks as well?

If using tissue to lift the scum make sure it is not perfumed / posh balm type!

Really don't think you will need to start again, especially if your water stats are okay and you're not seeing any adverse reactions from your fish.
 
Are your water stats ok?

What frequency are you feeding the fish?
Are you removing non-eaten food 2.5 hours of entering the tank?
Is it a scum look or like an oily look?
 
i get this when i have used frozen bloodworms.. as BTT says lay some kitchen roll on the surface to get all the grease off
 
I also get a bit with bloodworms. Therefore, they are more an occasional meal, usually before a partial water change so I can remove any film.
 
Try getting two or three different brands of flake food by different manufacturers (the smallest pot you can find); feed a different one for a week at a time and see what happens.
 
Water stats are fine.

Usually only feed small amount of frozen Cyclops morning and evening, the fish seem to like it, better than daphnia or flake anyway.

It has only been since adding bloodworm, did have some crypts melt also similar time to when it started.
Its more of an oily substance and these frozen bloodworms do feel very slimey, I think I have used them only once a week.

Since moving the filter to give a little more water movement it seems to have dispersed a little but there are still areas where I can see it building up.

Will stop with bloodworms and keep with water changes, will try using kitchen roll as well,

thanks all for your inputs
 

Most reactions

Back
Top