Too Much Lighting For My Odd Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a really odd and very tall sized tank I am setting up.

I want medium-low light as I will just have swords, ferns, and anubias. The tank dimensions are 30 inches tall, 20 inches wide, and 18 inches depth. I was looking at a fluval aquasky but they don't make them in my tank size. It will overhang by 4 inches.

Is a finnex planted+ or other finnex light system ok for my tank?

Keep in mind that if it's too powerful it will just cause algae as the tank is very tall. That's why I want low lighting so it isn't too powerful up top.

A pendant like a kessil is ideal but I don't have enough money.

Thanks!!

Kessil is a well known brand, not the cheapest for sure but i reckon that light would be too much as well for this tank, its pretty intense.

Hmm, a tricky tank to get light unit to fit properly
confused.gif

Maybe a LED tube light like I have might suit, my one is only a 3w unit but they do come as 6w units so that may suit the depth of your tank better, this website is a UK version of this, hope they sell these in US -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquael-Decolight-Leddy-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00PIP4BG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464977010&sr=8-1&keywords=leddy+tube

And also they do make a clip on light unit cover for these tubes -

Leddy Tube clip cover.jpg

Thats just one option to give you ideas that may help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ch4rlie said:
Kessil is a well known brand, not the cheapest for sure but i reckon that light would be too much as well for this tank, its pretty intense.

Hmm, a tricky tank to get light unit to fit properly
confused.gif

Maybe a LED tube light like I have might suit, my one is only a 3w unit but they do come as 6w units so that may suit the depth of your tank better, this website is a UK version of this, hope they sell these in US -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquael-Decolight-Leddy-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00PIP4BG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464977010&sr=8-1&keywords=leddy+tube

And also they do make a clip on light unit cover for these tubes -

attachicon.gif
Leddy Tube clip cover.jpg

Thats just one option to give you ideas that may help.
Thanks.

Have you heard of Dustins Fish Tanks lights?

http://dustinsfishtanks.com/aquarium-product/standard-double-led/

He emailed me after I put a comment in his youtube video trying to sell me on the lights. He said they really are good lights, I just don't know if hes right or just selling his product.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't say i have heard of that website.

Those look like high(ish) tech lights but its hard to tell, but the kelvins at 6,700 are what most folks look for in lights for plants.

Hard to tell if he is just trying the hard sell or if he is actually right that these lights are good, imho hes trying to sell them without a lot of information at all, just the kelvin ratings.

Not the cheapest lights either. But does offer a full refund if not satisfied...

Ch4rlie said:
Can't say i have heard of that website.

Those look like high(ish) tech lights but its hard to tell, but the kelvins at 6,700 are what most folks look for in lights for plants.

Hard to tell if he is just trying the hard sell or if he is actually right that these lights are good, imho hes trying to sell them without a lot of information at all, just the kelvin ratings.

Not the cheapest lights either. But does offer a full refund if not satisfied...
He was trying to sell them on me. I keep getting badgered with emails sadly. It's sad because I like him as a youtuber but hes a bad business man. I'll continue to buy plants from h im but not the lights. I'll just get the planted+ from finnex.

That sounds like the best option to be honest.

Would stick to known brands or recommended light units from other members.

Glad you won't be forced to buy something that you may regret, research and not rushing into things is always th nest policy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back