Too many fish too soon??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ami-Jane

Reaction score
Iā€™m approaching the end of my tank cycle(at last!) and looking ahead at the moment I can finally add fish.

Tank is 150l cube shaped. Got a fluval 307 external, wanted more filteration than the 207.

PH is currently 8, out of the tap is 7. KH is 15 and GH 20 (hard water here!)

So my actual question... Would adding 6 platys and 6/7 guppies be too much too soon to start with?? Or that an ok number???

Iā€™m approaching the end of my tank cycle(at last!) and looking ahead at the moment I can finally add fish.

Tank is 150l cube shaped. Got a fluval 307 external, wanted more filteration than the 207.

So my actual question... Would adding 6 platys and 6/7 guppies be too much too soon to start with?? Or that an ok number???
I would suggest you go with just one type of fish to start with and leave to a couple of weeks at least before you add another type.

A major benefit of this fishless cycling method is that you can now fully stock your tank in one go. This means an average stocking level for your tank size. It certainly does not mean you can stock heavily or over stock.

This is from the fishless cycling method on here.
However, I don't like fully stocking straight away, I'd stay with a maximum of 75%. This leaves some wiggle room, and allows for seeing a must have species you hadn't considered before.

It is only fish-in cycles where fish must be added slowly.

This is from the fishless cycling method on here.
However, I don't like fully stocking straight away, I'd stay with a maximum of 75%. This leaves some wiggle room, and allows for seeing a must have species you hadn't considered before.

It is only fish-in cycles where fish must be added slowly.

I must admit that is what I was reading this morning from the cycle link as I printed it off. Just wondered if was widely used. Wouldn't go 100% straight off

the light is a lot brighter, so thatā€™s probably it, thanks!

Just so you know, the pH of your tap water is likely higher than 7 if it is 8 in the aquarium. When testing tap water, you must ensure any dissolved CO2 is first out-gassed, or the test will likely not bee accurate. Let a glass of tap water sit out 24 hours, then test. This is not needed with aquarium water, just fresh tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back