Tolerate vs Thrive

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I always wondered what if any evidence supports the notion of tolerate v thrive, is it only subjective ?
I always thought and think it is always the best for the fish to be kept in the water which best suits them, but the "proof" part of my brain nags at me. Just to expand the thought, if we think about keeping fish in a glass box, would this not be more of a factor when we talk about thrive/tolerate.

I keep fish, so just put the thought out there. -

Thoughts >
The measure of thrive I use is whether the fish can reproduce. Do its eggs die in the water or conditions you have? Will it even show reproductive behaviour?

It does seem to be what they want to do, and if it's a fish that doesn't take enormous planning to breed, then it should be able to. Whether you want the fry or not is another debate.

A fish like a cardinal tetra breaks that rule - and there, a long healthy life in full colour reflects something. If a cardinal dies at 3, something's wrong. At 5, things are okay. 7and up, and it's been thriving, even though breeding it isn't likely.

It is a fine line, and really subjective. I still question a lot of the set ups I have, and I question the whole glass box thing sometimes too. I can usually make something up to justify keeping fish in captivity, but the questions have to be looked at, even if we then run away from our own questioning....:huh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back