To Move Krib Fry Or Not To Move..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
I have 31 kribensis fry at an average size of 3 cm each in a tank that is 32 gallons with tank mates of 4 kuhlii loaches and there 3 inch krib mother...now thats overstocked...so I need to move them because I cannot get better filtration or anything to control ammonia spikes...the problem is my rendahls catfish MIGHT be able to eat them. He can get 3/4 of half a hikari wafer in his mouth which is about 3/4 the size of my krib fry...could it be safe....there are many hiding spots for small fish in the tank though....

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the tank mate as I have no experience of those catfish.

However, I had about 20 juveniles in a 15 gallon tank, approximately 0.5 to 1 inch each until the largest started reaching 1.5 to 2 inch and I could get them off to the lfs. I wouldnt want to do it again but I was low on money and space and it was either that or let the parents kill them. Originally there were about 25-30 fry so the survival rate was quite impressive although I did have an oversized filter for the tank (cycled the tank water about 10 times per hour iirc). I just provided about 7 caves and frequent water changes. They are fairly hardy and can survive in a wide variety of water conditions. I would be more concerned with the adult female being in the same tank as them once they are looking after themselves than the fact that they are in a 32 gallon. The female will constantly be chasing them off and they will nip her fins, well kribs each have their own personalities so you can never be 100% sure but that is what has happened in my experience.

So what about filtering the 32 gallon as best as you can and temporarily moving the adult female and loaches over to the other tank? Might be something to consider. If they are 3 cm already you should be able to get them off to the lfs soon?

Good luck and hope you find a solution. :)

Most reactions

Back