To Big Of An Upgrade?

NickN

New Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Right now I have a 46 gallon tank. I have 2 Silver dollars, a Green Severum, and a Red Tail Shark. I am pretty sure that this fish will eventually get to be to large for the tank since it is a tall tank. When I upgrade I am wanting something that will last me quite a while as my wife said it would need too :unsure: . I am thinking when I do it I am wanting to go with something around 120 gallons. Is this it big of jump for most people, I don't think it would be I am just making sure that I am not seeing something. Is there anything that would get to large for a 120 gallon tank that would play well with the fish that I already have? What else would you put in it?
 
That would be a good sized tank :good:

Choosing a filter would be interesting with that size. You will want an Eheim 2080, Tetratec EX2400 or a Fluval FX5 realy, depending on budget. If you want a redundant system, look at two Tetratec EX1200's in paralell or stand-alone or two Eheim 2028's

The brand of choice depends on budget. Eheim are considered the best, but you pay for it. I like the tetratec range, and would personally go twin Tetratec EX1200's here, and are considered just as good though unproven being new to the market ATM. The Fluval FX5 has had teething problems to date but many think it a good filter.

First on the list would be 4 more silver dollars. They are a shoaling fish and want 6+ in their group idealy. After that you could look at larger New World chichlids that will hold their own as semi-agressive fish.

For heating you will need about 600W of power, so two Hydor's if you are running a redundant filter set-up (two filters basically) or a 500W internal might do the trick if the room is warm or the tank is planned to run unusualy cool :good:

HTH
Rabbut
 
when it comes to upgrading my advice would be to get as big a tank as you can afford/fit in the space you have. i run a 26g and was going o order a 75g but when io measured up i realised i could squeeze a 95 in so thats what i ordered and im glad i did. if you go smaller than you can get then 1 day you will sit back and regret it
 
im pretty sure an oscar or a couple of jack dempseys would do ok???? im not certain though...im gona assume your silver dollars will be full grown
 
Cool thanks for all of the advice.

As it stands right now I am using a Rena XP2 and I would get a second one for the 120. I was also thinking of using 2 heaters for a more even water temp. Is this done often, I am wondering if it is to much trouble to get the 2 heaters to the same output?

Would an Oscar be aggressive with the other fish?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top