Tips For Moving A 75 Gallon Aquarium?

bassdrummer1

Reaction score
I'm 19 and about to move out and live in an apartment. any tips for transporting a 75 gallon tank?

i'm moving about 30 minuts away.
I do not have corals yet.
fish - yellow tang. lion. clown. starfish. blue hippo tang
Bass rock- around 80 pounds.
I have a wooden stand also.

Towels and buckets, LOTS of both :)

Do yourself a favor and do not move the tank with water in it. Really stresses the seals and makes it possible to break the tank. It's a good idea to transport the water in a cheap disposable plastic bin of some kind, even like a rubbermaid bin.

Definitely make sure you take everything out. I learned the hard way with a 29g. It now has a nice looking crack on the bottom.

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, get someone else to come help, preferably someone with a pickup. I tried moving my 80g by myself. It didn't go too well.

Definitely make sure you take everything out. I learned the hard way with a 29g. It now has a nice looking crack on the bottom.

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, get someone else to come help, preferably someone with a pickup. I tried moving my 80g by myself. It didn't go too well.

do I have to take the sand out? I was planing to take the water out and put it in 5 gal. buckets and keep the sand in the tank then when its all set up put the water back in the tank.

Also, I have a wet dry filter for my tank. do i need to keep this in water? I know this might be a stupid question but I really dont know.

It depends how much sand you have. If you only have a little bit you should be fine.

You have going to want to keep the media in the wet dry wet.

Sand should be alright, it's the sloshing of water that puts abnormal impulse forces on the seals and may break them. Because sand doesn't really slosh around, it should be fine. Make sure you get as much water out ous possible though...

I would imagine if he had something like a 6" sand bed he would want to take it out simply due to the weight.

Most reactions

Back