Tips for making your aquarium look nice and pop out?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I currently have a 10 gallon aquarium and am looking for some tips to make it look nice. For example if anyone knows the best way to place plants so it looks naturalistic and cool. Or other tips.

Attachments

• 8027BB9A-95DB-494B-9FE8-A2F951136BC8.jpeg
    8027BB9A-95DB-494B-9FE8-A2F951136BC8.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 89
Dark substrate.

Dark background, but if you have black fish, don't use a black background, go for blue or green instead.

Have taller plants along the back and put some medium or tall plants on the sides. Leave middle open for the fish to swim around.

Is it black so the two Betta fish don’t see each other..?
It shouldn't make a difference, there are aquariums available with clear dividers fitted specifically for Betta, such as...

Not the greatest example, I admit, but they are clear/frosted dividers rather than black

I currently have a 10 gallon aquarium and am looking for some tips to make it look nice. For example if anyone knows the best way to place plants so it looks naturalistic and cool. Or other tips.
I reckon maybe no rainbow gravel and get a completely dark substrate? But might not be worth the hassle of replacing the gravel. Looks good, though! I reckon the driftwood you've got in there makes a difference. 👍

I agree with the dark background but not combined with dark substrate. There's no contrast then. I think a dark background and a lighter substrate looks better. Black sand is all the rage now but I think it looks fake. (No offense to anyone who uses it, the majority of tanks I see on here are far better than mine - dark substrate or not.)

I agree with the dark background but not combined with dark substrate. There's no contrast then. I think a dark background and a lighter substrate looks better. Black sand is all the rage now but I think it looks fake. (No offense to anyone who uses it, the majority of tanks I see on here are far better than mine - dark substrate or not.)
1. No offence taken 🙂

2. I’ve got two tanks, one with dark/black sand and one with sand coloured sand and the plants definitely stand out more in the all dark tank. The looks are very different and I’m happy with both of mine and they’ve been selected to achieve a specific ‘look’ (both a somewhat haphazard, jungly look). I really am going to try for a more sculpted look for the next one 😂

I think that you could really make it pop by posting some more pictures of that precious baby boy betta
😍
Seriously, I think that besides a more pictures of precious baby boy betta, you should get more live plants. After you do that you can maybe position them so they look more natural...

In addition, I'm not sure if it'll pop from the viewer's perspective, but I think your fish would enjoy some plants to kind of tuckaway in or hide in so it just seems more natural; perhaps some Anacharis?

I am personally not fond of beta logs and admit I've never had them in any of my tanks, but if they use the logs then my opinion doesn't really matter 🤪

It shouldn't make a difference, there are aquariums available with clear dividers fitted specifically for Betta, such as...
All clear dividers do is stop physical contact between antagonistic fish...they'll still flare and become pumped with fishy temper every time they see each other and this repeated stress will shorten their lives.

The definition of 'nice' is very subjective and solely dependent upon personal taste.
Every single element of artificiality will counter any effort to create a 'naturalistic' look.
This is my 10 gallon;

DSCN4324.JPG

NOTE how that abandoned glass cleaner detracts from the whole image.

Most reactions

Back