Timeframe for growth?

I like the chaotic look. It looks more natural to me.
Thank you! Once I get it a bit more settled, Iā€™m hoping to do a journal for the progress. For now, I think Iā€™m just getting over these bumps in the road and I wanna post when Iā€™m more proud of it. šŸ˜…

That looks like Italian val on the right and maybe anacharis that you circled on top. The val will grow with runners.

You can use some carpeting plants. Not all need Co2. Pearl weed is a great option.
Iā€™ll look into Pearl weed!
Thank you for the name of the one on the right! My local mom and pop LFS had their son working that day and he didnā€™t know what it was called.
The anacharis was just floating on the top at another store and it was all they had. The bottoms look a bit soft and yellow but the middle and top look great. I will give it some more time and see.

Thanks again!

It looks chaotic to me, but Iā€™m hoping that those two circled in red, do well! Iā€™d like to remove the hornwort and use those to fill in the entire background.
I know nothing looks cohesive. I just removed some foreground plants that died. Iā€™m looking for a hardy grass like plant. But my LFS told me to stay away from carpeting plants, since Iā€™m not going to do co2.

You should still do water changes though.
Hello shark. Actually, the idea behind this type of tank is you'll never need to do water changes. Not ever. That's the name of the Johnson book. These tanks can function indefinitely without ever changing the water.

10 Tanks

Hello shark. Actually, the idea behind this type of tank is you'll never need to do water changes. Not ever. That's the name of the Johnson book. These tanks can function indefinitely without ever changing the water.

10 Tanks
Yeah but don't water changes do more than remove nitrates? They also remove other impurities and replenish trace minerals.

Yeah but don't water changes do more than remove nitrates? They also remove other impurities and replenish trace minerals.
Hi shark. The roots of the plants act as the filtration system and remove all three forms of nitrogen and anything else chemical wise that might harm the fish. By simply feeding the fish, they'll provide all the nutrients the plant requires to be healthy. By replacing the water lost to evaporation (the tank is open to accommodate the plant) with distilled water, you're not overloading the system with more minerals, since distilled water has none. The system is self sustaining except for feeding the fish every day or two.

10 Tanks

That is good to hear!
Iā€™m concerned for the plants that have shown die off. Iā€™ve removed leaves from some and whole plants of others where they were just falling apart.
I will be patient with the others and hope for the best!
I didn't see crypts on your list of plants. But one of the things crypts are known for is crypt melt. When you first plant a crypt in your tank (or move it), some or all of the leaves die. But they'll grow back. Just trim the stem that leaf is on as close to the crown as you can so that the plant can focus its energy on growing the new leaves.
Other plants can have an initial melt too. A lot of plant nurseries grow aquarium plants emersed because they grow faster and so they don't have to worry about algae. When the plants are then submerged, they have to adjust to that. Which sometimes includes leaves melting so that new leaves can grow for the new environment.

Hi shark. The roots of the plants act as the filtration system and remove all three forms of nitrogen and anything else chemical wise that might harm the fish. By simply feeding the fish, they'll provide all the nutrients the plant requires to be healthy. By replacing the water lost to evaporation (the tank is open to accommodate the plant) with distilled water, you're not overloading the system with more minerals, since distilled water has none. The system is self sustaining except for feeding the fish every day or two.

10 Tanks

I really am sorry to have to burst this bubble too, but this is not accurate.

First, there are substances in the water that plants cannot remove, or cannot remove as quick as it might be, because of the fish stocking most of us have in our tanks. No water changes works for Diana Walstad because she very heavily plants the tank, and she has minimal (by comparison) fish stocking. She admits this herself in her articles and forum.

Another reason for water changes is to replenish minerals. Adding distilled water does not replenish minerals.

Feeding the fish may or may not provide all the nutrients the plants require. It depends upon the fish load and the plant load, including both number and species of plants.

You can read a science=based article on water changes on this forum rather than rely on that book which would be best forgotten if you are citing it correctly.

That is good to hear!
Iā€™m concerned for the plants that have shown die off. Iā€™ve removed leaves from some and whole plants of others where they were just falling apart.
I will be patient with the others and hope for the best!
Something I was just reading about aquarium plants. Sometimes, they take time to develop their root systems before their stems and leaves. So they're growing, we just can't see it yet.

Most reactions

Back