Tiger lotus growth query

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Just so happened to be my water change day today...I'll let you know in a couple of months 😂

Here's something I found on another site:
When any of your bulbs begins to go dormant, place it in wet sand in a container(not completely airtight) in the refridgerator for 3-4 months. After this, clean off the bulb(s), place in a wet paper towel and then loosely in a plastic bag. Place this in a warm place (like a furnace room or top of a refridgerator) for a few days---sprouts or "eyes" should form. Place in your tank and cross your fingers---it should come back. While I have used this method several times, I have not always been successful.

@CaptainBarnicles would you believe I went to do a routine clean on my tank today ready to take the bulb out to putut in the frixge and what did I see? The tiniest little shoot! I left it alone and will update on its progress.

Attachments

• 20230927_181740.jpg
    20230927_181740.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 12
@CaptainBarnicles would you believe I went to do a routine clean on my tank today ready to take the bulb out to putut in the frixge and what did I see? The tiniest little shoot! I left it alone and will update on its progress.
That's awesome! Not gonna lie, I completely forgot about this 😅 mines been in the fridge all this time...I may have to ask Alexa to remind me ro take it out in a couple of months 🤣

Thought I'd update this with some progress, the tiger lotus is really thriving! My frogs love chilling under the leaves. I bought another bulb to go in my 6 gallon tank but if it grows anything like this one I may have to rethink that plan!

Attachments

• 20231202_173941.jpg
    20231202_173941.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231202_173526.jpg
    20231202_173526.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 8
Mine arrived with some sprouting so it didn't take long to get going...but over time the leaves died away (I neglected it unfortunately) and now the bulb just lays dormant 😐
Just a note that sometimes plants go dormant due to lack of nutrients. Growing plants need a little of nitrogen as well as other nutrients. There are 14 nutrients needed for plant growth to occur.. If nutrient levels ar too low the plant may appear torment. IF the plant starts to die it may be because there was an extrieme shortage of nutrients. If the plant refuses to grow no mater what your do try fertilizing the water.

Just a note that sometimes plants go dormant due to lack of nutrients. Growing plants need a little of nitrogen as well as other nutrients. There are 14 nutrients needed for plant growth to occur.. If nutrient levels ar too low the plant may appear torment. IF the plant starts to die it may be because there was an extrieme shortage of nutrients. If the plant refuses to grow no mater what your do try fertilizing the water.
Yes I've heard these can go dormant, I use ferts with each water change and also root tabs so hopefully it'll keep growing. Have had a few new leaves since I posted last week.

I fertilise every week with my water change 🤷‍♀️

Most reactions

Back