Tiger Barilius

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have two tiger barilius fish. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of these, or have any information. I found SOME info on the web, but hardly anything at all. It seems they are also called Ozola Barbs. But I could be wrong about that.

I am just wondering how big these fish get, where they are from, any info would be very cool.

It seems they are rare, as my LFS only had a batch once, and I've never seen them since at that LFS or at any other for that matter.

It's a silvery fish, torpedo style. they kinda swim like sharks. fluid like motion. semi translucent thick vertical grey stripes down their sides. so far they are 2.5" (approx.), possibly 3" (i'm bad at measuring).

- kip

The genus Barilius comprises about a dozen rather similaly shaped freshwater fish from India East to Vietnam. They are Cyprinids, (i.e. related to the barbs).

Almost all are rather long thin silvery fish, and most have a number of vertical stripes, some a few broad stripes, others, many thin stripes. The smallest species grow to about 4", the largest up to 12".

They often have "freshwater mackerel" as a common name. The common name I've seen most often is "Gold Lipped Mackerel" for obvious reasons. They have no special requirements for keeping pH 6-8 DH 3-20 20-26C.

My only experience with them was Barilius christii, which would seem to have been renamed in the mean time. Was a bit of a fin nipper.

Ozola Barb would seem to be a common name for Barilius barna which I'm not familiar with.

Most reactions

Back