Tiger Barbs / Buoyancy Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Convict_

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Bill - I am new to the forum but a very long time hobbyist. Hoping somebody can shed some light on an ongoing matter related to Tiger Barbs. The short version is that I have approximately 10 barbs in a 35 gallon tank. The problem is that I notice multiple times throughout the day that the barbs will struggle with buoyancy; most all will be pointed towards the substrate(bottom) / almost struggling to NOT float up to the top. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this and or if this caused by anything I might be doing. The matter will wear off after some time and then they resort back to it to normal and then back again. It looks like their stomachs are full yet I have not over-fed them by any means. Not sure if the extra air stone is putting too much oxygen in the tank and some of the bubbles are being absorbed through their gills ...(its a normal air-stone) - not sure.

Anyhow, hoping somebody might be able to add some information on the matter.

Thanks
BT

Tiger barbs regularly take in air when feeding from the surface. If you feed dry food, this is the most likely cause.

Don't feed them any dry food for a week and offer them frozen (but defrosted) or live foods instead. If they swim normally after a week without dry food, then it is air in their intestine.

If it is air, and it sounds a lot like it is, you might be able to see the fish fart bubbles. :)

You can also make sure any food is not on the surface, with flake food I always grind it up between my fingers and then put it in the in flow current of the filter, that allows it to spread throughout the aquarium. It is also a good check of how well your filter is doing.

You can also make sure any food is not on the surface, with flake food I always grind it up between my fingers and then put it in the in flow current of the filter, that allows it to spread throughout the aquarium. It is also a good check of how well your filter is doing.
Thank you for the response. Going to try that. As mentioned, I can't seem to figure out the cause of this. / Ok yes I did look up Hokitika New Zealand. Holy Cow that is far; on the other side of the planet! Looks beautiful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back