Tiger Barb Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EkizUCLA

Reaction score
Hi, I have a few tiger barb questions...
So here it goes:

1. What level of the tank do they swim on?

2. What are good fish to put in with them?

3. How many should be kept in a 10 gallon?

Thanks so much! :fun:

Hey ekizucla.....welcome to the forum :hey:

Tiger barbs are mid-bottom level swimmers usally but will go pretty much everywhere in the tank....Tiger barbs can be aggressive fish if not kept in groups of 5-6 or more.....While they are in groups with there own kind their aggression will be spread out amongst themselves and are actually quite calm....they will get to be about 3-3.5"and like to have alot of swimming space...personally i dont think they are a suitable fish for a 10 gallon tank...but if you do get a group of 5 ...but you wont be able to put anything else in as you will be overstocked...hope i helped ...any questions reply back :)

1. All levels, looking at my tank right now, a group are hanging out at the top, some are swimming in the fake Roman columns (middle), and one is nibbling in the gravel. They are very active and pretty much everywhere.

2-3. These two questions are very related since 10 gal is not a lot of room to add much else. Tiger Barbs are a shoaling fish... that is, in order to be happy and healthy, they really need a significant number of theor own species. If they do not have some friends, they normally act nippy and aggresive toward other tankmates. It is generally quoted to keep at least 6 tiger barbs. But, they also get to 2.5 to 3 inches big. So, about 6 is all you can fit on one ten gallon. No other fish at all.

Now, if you can afford it, since they are such active swimmers, they would really appecriate a longer tank to zoom around in. And, if you get a larger tank, a community of 6-10 tiger barbs will typically keep to themselves, and other fish may be kept with them.

But, in summary, if only have 10 gals, I would recommend six tiger barbs and six only.

[edit] snuck in there digital_run just as I was writing B)

Most reactions

Back