Thread for sharing art

Hey. Stop the self deprecating talk. All art is good, and the more youll make the better you get. :)
Thanks... Its really hard for me to share stuff I've done... So a lot of times before I share something I put it down before someone else can or that way when they do I can just laugh it off... I would consider myself a "perfectionist" of sorts but not in an extreme way. Its just when I am going to do something, sometimes I try to aim for absolutely perfect so no one can complain... I guess its a form of ptsd from things people have said or done to me in the past... I do want to learn how to paint better landscapes, I feel like that's what I'm best at. I suck at doing people or animals or structures lol. But maybe that's something I can try working on...

Thanks... Its really hard for me to share stuff I've done... So a lot of times before I share something I put it down before someone else can or that way when they do I can just laugh it off... I would consider myself a "perfectionist" of sorts but not in an extreme way. Its just when I am going to do something, sometimes I try to aim for absolutely perfect so no one can complain... I guess its a form of ptsd from things people have said or done to me in the past... I do want to learn how to paint better landscapes, I feel like that's what I'm best at. I suck at doing people or animals or structures lol. But maybe that's something I can try working on...
This is almost exactly me, would you believe that when i made this thread, that was pretty much the first time i let anyone see my art, i went years of not really showing anyone.
Im a perfectionist in the same way also, its been a challenge to learn to be okay with my art, and learn that in the same way i dont like all art i see, not everyone will like my art. Or even if i dont like it, someone will.
When i start out I've had to learn to try to not start with such a clear picture of what it should look like. Because if i do, I'll fail and hate it because its not what i envisioned.
Keep up with your art, draw or paint something small every day. Youll grow in confidence. I saw a quote that said something like "everyone has so many 'bad' drawings in them, and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out!"

Really? You we're afraid to share? That was very brave of you to do that...
Idk if I have the time to do it every day but maybe I can try once a week or more if possible. I really like that quote you shared, it made me smile
This is almost exactly me, would you believe that when i made this thread, that was pretty much the first time i let anyone see my art, i went years of not really showing anyone.
Im a perfectionist in the same way also, its been a challenge to learn to be okay with my art, and learn that in the same way i dont like all art i see, not everyone will like my art. Or even if i dont like it, someone will.
When i start out I've had to learn to try to not start with such a clear picture of what it should look like. Because if i do, I'll fail and hate it because its not what i envisioned.
Keep up with your art, draw or paint something small every day. Youll grow in confidence. I saw a quote that said something like "everyone has so many 'bad' drawings in them, and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out!"

The art of poki 👌
7A19EAED-1767-474B-86F6-120E7376B947.jpeg

Really? You we're afraid to share? That was very brave of you to do that...
Idk if I have the time to do it every day but maybe I can try once a week or more if possible. I really like that quote you shared, it made me smile
I was! @Crispii is actually one of the main reasons i started showing people, little by little. Sometimes i still am, and about 80% of my art i dont share and i keep to myself.

Weekly is good! Im glad it made you smile :) keep drawing, if you like it dont stop

Keep up with your art, draw or paint something small every day. Youll grow in confidence.
Idk if I have the time to do it every day but maybe I can try once a week or more if possible.
One thing that really helped me was to draw things that I didn't necessarily even want to. I got online and I found a daily art prompt sheet for January. I texted my cousin and asked if she wanted to do it with me. She was totally on board, so every night for nearly 2 or 3 weeks we would Facetime for 15-45 minutes and do our little art prompts. Some days it was something that I never had any interest in drawing, like "The New Year", what does that even mean? Or "winter clouds". It made us step a little bit outside our comfort zones. But even after the first 10 days, it was soooo crazy how I felt so much more comfortable with my work. I think that it was a combination of 1) doing it every day, 2) showing it to someone else, 3) actually improving, even if just a little bit. Trying something you've never tried before is how you improved. I'd never tried to draw a penguin before, but was actually really proud of how it turned out.

The biggest thing is not to be intimidated by the people you think are "better" at it then you. In art, you will quickly realize that there is really no such thing as better. Everyone has their own different style. Some people appreciate certain styles more than others, but it doesn't make one better. My cousin (the one mentioned above) used to loooveeee to do art together the couple times every few years we saw them. As we got older, started to improve our skills and define our own styles, I realized that I didn't feel comfortable sharing my art with her because I felt like she was better. Why would she care about MY art? I have a very different art style than hers. If she draws an animal, she will look at a reference photo and make it insanely realistic. If I draw an animal, I intentionally make it cartoony. I do big eyes with lots of character, and I exaggerate proportions. It's just our styles, it wasn't that hers was better.

Some people just don't get that. My grandma always liked my cousin's style better than mine. She would go on and on, gushing about her art ALL THE TIME, like she just loved it and was soooo proud of her. I could deal with that, I had supportive people. I didn't need her to love my art. BUT She once told me "Her (my cousin) thing is art, just like your thing is... your pets" That like... really hurt. Just because I love my pets doesn't mean I can't be passionate abt art too! She didn't say it to be mean or hurtful, but just the fact that she would define it like that was kind of... offensive. OF COURSE she's going to think that my cousin works harder on art than I do. My parents couldn't afford to buy me the art supplies her parents bought her, my parents couldn't afford the weekly art lessons her parents put her in. I'm sitting over here with my little mechanical pencil and $2 sketch pad, asking for art supplies for every birthday while she's over there with her $50 markers, and her hundreds of dollars worth of oil paints, watercolors, acrylics, gouache, brushes, and canvases. I kind of stopped doing any art for a long time. Like for 2 or 3 years, it just wasn't something I enjoyed any more. Then her mom sent her down here to do a summer art course with me and I realized my cousin was actually really nice and really encouraging and didn't think she was any better than me. So I got over it and went to art camp.

Moral of the story = Don't let people who don't even understand it put you down!

One thing that really helped me was to draw things that I didn't necessarily even want to. I got online and I found a daily art prompt sheet for January. I texted my cousin and asked if she wanted to do it with me. She was totally on board, so every night for nearly 2 or 3 weeks we would Facetime for 15-45 minutes and do our little art prompts. Some days it was something that I never had any interest in drawing, like "The New Year", what does that even mean? Or "winter clouds". It made us step a little bit outside our comfort zones. But even after the first 10 days, it was soooo crazy how I felt so much more comfortable with my work. I think that it was a combination of 1) doing it every day, 2) showing it to someone else, 3) actually improving, even if just a little bit. Trying something you've never tried before is how you improved. I'd never tried to draw a penguin before, but was actually really proud of how it turned out.

The biggest thing is not to be intimidated by the people you think are "better" at it then you. In art, you will quickly realize that there is really no such thing as better. Everyone has their own different style. Some people appreciate certain styles more than others, but it doesn't make one better. My cousin (the one mentioned above) used to loooveeee to do art together the couple times every few years we saw them. As we got older, started to improve our skills and define our own styles, I realized that I didn't feel comfortable sharing my art with her because I felt like she was better. Why would she care about MY art? I have a very different art style than hers. If she draws an animal, she will look at a reference photo and make it insanely realistic. If I draw an animal, I intentionally make it cartoony. I do big eyes with lots of character, and I exaggerate proportions. It's just our styles, it wasn't that hers was better.

Some people just don't get that. My grandma always liked my cousin's style better than mine. She would go on and on, gushing about her art ALL THE TIME, like she just loved it and was soooo proud of her. I could deal with that, I had supportive people. I didn't need her to love my art. BUT She once told me "Her (my cousin) thing is art, just like your thing is... your pets" That like... really hurt. Just because I love my pets doesn't mean I can't be passionate abt art too! She didn't say it to be mean or hurtful, but just the fact that she would define it like that was kind of... offensive. OF COURSE she's going to think that my cousin works harder on art than I do. My parents couldn't afford to buy me the art supplies her parents bought her, my parents couldn't afford the weekly art lessons her parents put her in. I'm sitting over here with my little mechanical pencil and $2 sketch pad, asking for art supplies for every birthday while she's over there with her $50 markers, and her hundreds of dollars worth of oil paints, watercolors, acrylics, gouache, brushes, and canvases. I kind of stopped doing any art for a long time. Like for 2 or 3 years, it just wasn't something I enjoyed any more. Then her mom sent her down here to do a summer art course with me and I realized my cousin was actually really nice and really encouraging and didn't think she was any better than me. So I got over it and went to art camp.

Moral of the story = Don't let people who don't even understand it put you down!
Exactly! Different people draw and appreciate different styles more, and all art is good! Some people will pay thousands on dollars for art it looks like a 3 year old made, and some people will only pay 100 for something insanely realistic and intricate. You will find a market for your art, or if you aren't selling, at least find people who do appreciate it

And yes! The art prompts are a huge help for me too!

That is a lot to read and reply to but I did read it all and it was a VERRRY good read. Thank you for sharing your story! Sadly I just dont have the thumb power to type a reply to all the things you talked about 😂

Latest piece. Has not been titled yet, nothing just seems quite "right". I did this the other night and within 12 hours of completion it was sold. Theres amazingly high demand as well so I'll be making prints.
I did this piece in the midst of a flare, one of the only ways i can show what its truly like. The response i got to it was overwhelming, made me tear up. Enjoy!
20220426_170347.jpg

Latest piece. Has not been titled yet, nothing just seems quite "right". I did this the other night and within 12 hours of completion it was sold. Theres amazingly high demand as well so I'll be making prints.
I did this piece in the midst of a flare, one of the only ways i can show what its truly like. The response i got to it was overwhelming, made me tear up. Enjoy!View attachment 158747
Wow. You can really feel the emotion of that piece. Very fine piece of art

Most reactions

trending

Back