This An Okay Stocking Idea?

ShadowedSin

New Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've got a almost fully cycled (nitrites hit 0 3 days ago, low nitrates in general) and I am planning on this final stocking set up. Oh and it's a 29 gallon tank 24" x 13" x 18".

3-5 Bolivian Rams - When a pair appears 2 will be moved to my community tank, or the others returned.

3-4 Pitbull plecos (I have 3 in already, they have acclimated perfectly!)

5-7 Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish

I know that the Rainbows like to jump, and the top of the water is covered in frogbit.
 
So long as you definately move the unpaired rams, yes to those, but add them last, when the tank is matured more, as they will not tolerate any ammonia or nitrIte.

Id say 3 plecs is plenty, wouldnt add anymore, they are large waste producers will only up your nitrAtes and you want those low for the rams.

Yes to the rainbows 8 IMO. Rainbows IME are not jumpers, but they do like Frogbit as they dont like strong lights, but they will eat it too.

Keep the temp to 26c but no higher, rainbows prefer cooler around 24, but rams like upto 28-30, so 26c is a good compromise.
 
Oh, the nitrates are dreadfully low (3ppm) and the nitrites are nonexistent. This tank is fully cycled. But when I do first introduce them I'll definitely keep up consistent water tests and changes to make sure^^

Awesome, thanks!
 
I've got a almost fully cycled (nitrites hit 0 3 days ago, low nitrates in general) and I am planning on this final stocking set up. Oh and it's a 29 gallon tank 24" x 13" x 18".

3-5 Bolivian Rams - When a pair appears 2 will be moved to my community tank, or the others returned.

3-4 Pitbull plecos (I have 3 in already, they have acclimated perfectly!)

5-7 Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish

I know that the Rainbows like to jump, and the top of the water is covered in frogbit.


Hi

Take off the glass thickness, airspace at the top and allowing for some substrate, that tank is close to 20G US, and 17G Imperial. IMPO, Rams or the rainbows, not both. If you are desperate to overcrowd the tank you will need a decent filter and overfilter the tank maybe a 2213/5 Eheim
 
I've got a almost fully cycled (nitrites hit 0 3 days ago, low nitrates in general) and I am planning on this final stocking set up. Oh and it's a 29 gallon tank 24" x 13" x 18".

3-5 Bolivian Rams - When a pair appears 2 will be moved to my community tank, or the others returned. Yep would be fine Rams live in small groups, just might need to keep an eye out if 2 pair off but they should be fine!

3-4 Pitbull plecos (I have 3 in already, they have acclimated perfectly!) I would not add any more Plecos 3 is enough

5-7 Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish Again yep 3-4 should be fine

I know that the Rainbows like to jump, and the top of the water is covered in frogbit.
 
I don't think it will lose 9 gallons unless the tank is made from 4" thick bulletproof glass!

Andy


Hi Andy



If 24" x 13" x 18"" really was 29G you might have a point

24x13x18 is 24 G US, 20 G UK. Take off an inch for substrate and an inch for airspace and assume 0.2 inch glass you have 20.8 G US
about 17G UK

I hope that helps - probably best if you check before trying to make someone look silly as you might end up with egg on your face
 
I wasn't trying to make anyone look silly and yes if I'd have checked and found out the tank was actually 24 us gall then I'd prob agree with you regarding it being more like 20 us gal.

My original statement is however still correct, that the ops tank wouldn't lose 9 us gals :rolleyes:

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top