This "Ag" Plant is Finally Growing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello TFF. For some time I've been talking up the use of terrestrial plants as a water filter in fish tanks. Several years ago, I kept large "Ag" plants and didn't need to change the tank water very often, due to the fact the roots of this land plant used the nitrogen produced by the fish. Water chemistry was always well within the limits for keeping the fish healthy. After I retired, I took the plants out and started to increase the water changes to make up for no more plant filtration. Recently, I started a small "Ag" plant in a 50 gallon tank and it's taken quite a while to acclimate it to a totally under water environment. After many weeks, it's growing nicely. Attached is a photo. I can't think of another land plant that will thrive completely under water. Maybe someone else can come up with one.

Attachments

• IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 2,432
Last edited:
"Ag" is just short for Aglaonema. It's also called "Chinese Evergreen". It's a land plant that's native to the northwest part of the US. You'll see large versions of them in offices and are sold in most chain grocery stores in the plant and flower departments and in places like Lowe's and Home Depot. There are at least a half dozen varieties. The plant can get quite large. But, there's a problem with keeping it as a house plant or keeping it in a fish tank with just the roots immersed in the water. It's toxic to pets. The plant I keep is completely under water, so our pets can't get to it.

Most reactions

Back