Thinking Of Re-Scaping My Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I planted out my tank for the first time around a month ago. However, I just don't think I'm pleased with how it looks. I feel it looks a bit messy and doesn't look how I wanted it to. Sorry the first pic in particular isn't of a good size/quality, I don't think I really know how to resize it without decreasing the quality further and my camera isn't too great.

This is the tank as it currently stands:
wk4eur.jpg

However, I think I'd like it to look a bit more like this:
t56t5i.jpg

Plant ideas:
3464bhl.jpg

• a & b - two types of amazon sword, one larger to go behind the wood/plants in the corner, two smaller to go eitherside of the wood. They can't grow too big though, as the tank is only roughly 30-35cm tall :good:
  • c - something to go in the middle of the wood - thinking java fern?
  • d - anubias on wood, which I already have (unsure what type it is though, possibly nana)
  • e - I currently have hygrophila polysperma here, which as I am sure you can see in the first pic, grows wildly (despite trimming) and at an angle. I'd like a stem plant here, but not sure what.
  • f & g - here is where I need more ideas. I'm thinking of some smaller foreground plants for 'f' and a 'background' plant for 'g'. I don't mind several different species for either and would appriciate ideas. Would smaller crypt species work for 'f'? I've had little luck with vallis in the past for 'g', any other suggestions?

I don't think I'd actually want the background black, btw, (though I have heard people say it brings out the colour more), I just did that for the plan.

For wood, I was thinking manzanita or redmoor - if I can't find a single piece, I was thinking of getting a few individual pieces and glueing them together (would superglue be fine for this?).

Lighting is 11W (not sure whether T5 or T8) and is generally on for 10-12 hours or so a day, but this can be changed. Currently have a couple of TNC root tabs and dose daily with liquid King British Aquatic Plant Food (which provides micro nutrients) and EasyCarbo.

Any ideas, suggestions & opinions are hugely appriciated :good:

Many thanks, hope I haven't bored you :lol:

I think it just needs a nice piece of wood as a centrepiece.
I had black backgrounds on most of my tanks, but after a while I decided it was too dark

Thanks for replying - you have been very helpful recently cazgar :D

Where could the wood go, though? Near where the swords are, similar to in the plans I drew, perhaps? Might be a bit tricky to get them in there though :lol:

Depending what wood you manage to get, I'd put it slightly off centre to the left with the swords behind it, withe the anubias on it, & some small plants in the foreground, maybe some small crypts or dwarf hairgrass.
You could try a riccia carpet if you wanted to cover the bottom, I didn't have much luck with it, but if it works it looks great.
Ask on the planted section, they'll tell you the easy care plants to go for

Nice idea. Don't know much about crypts though - what species would go nicely?

Sorry, I don't know the names of them, I got mine from my Lfs & they were just labelled dwarf crypts, again, the planted section is the best place to ask for plant advice.
There might even be some for sale on the planted classifieds

Oops, just realised you are on the planted section.
Makes note to self to check in future ;)

It's ok :p

Btw, RE my upgrade situation you were advising me with the other day, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to upgrade (See thread) but did get another two pygmy cories today :good:

You'd be best to remove all plants when rescaping and then put the hardscape ie wood in several different places until your happy, then arrange the plants around the wood :good:

Most reactions

Back