Thinking About More Tetras.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta_Shark5678

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm thinking about getting another shoal of tetras for my 55 Gallon mostly south american biotope (I ruined it with my platys...).  Right now I have:
10 Glowlight tetras
2 Albino BNs
5 Platys
and 2 Bolivian Rams.

What kind of tetras would you suggest?  A few that my favorite LFS always has:
Serpaes
Black Skirts and White Skirts
Head and Tail lights
Buenos Aires
Neons.  
They also occasionally have albino, green, or black neons, rummynoses, emperors, x-rays, and others.  Hopefully based on the all the time list what are your favorite type?  I'd like something that forms a tight shoal, my glowlights very rarely stick all together.  I'd love rummynoses, but I've only seen them there once.

Thanks!

Of your list, rummynoses are my favourites.

Fish that tend to school rather than loosely shoal are:

Rummynose
Harlequins
Copper Herlequins
Silvertip Tetra
Emerald Eye Rasbora
Penguin Tetra
Glowlight Danios (depending on tank temps, they don't mind warmer than most danios but not too warm)

Thanks! I saw three rummynoses in the lfs, and they are one of the only ones that actually schooled.  I suppose it could have been because there was only three of them in a tank full of bolivian rams, but I liked the way they looked swimming together like that.  I rarely see my glowlights anywhere near each other unless they're hungry...

I suggest you get the rummies! Mine were really charmers but they need to be in a group of six. I can suggest black neons as they can add the splash of black to your tank.

I'll check next time I go to see if they have more than 3.  I'm hoping for around 10.  Do the black neons school tighter than other tetras?

my vote would be for runnynoses too

drunk.gif

I'm once again going to go against the grain and say that another schooling group would be pushing the boat out, if this is a 55US g (208l) tank, as adult fish you have ~100cm SL already.

I'd say either boost the numbers of the Glolight Tetra by upto ~4 more (big groups of schooling fish look great, I have 20 Pareutropius cf. mandevillei), or look to a small and docile singleton [struggling to come up with one right this moment that is South American].

N0body Of The Goat said:
I'm once again going to go against the grain and say that another schooling group would be pushing the boat out, if this is a 55US g (208l) tank, as adult fish you have ~100cm SL already.

I'd say either boost the numbers of the Glolight Tetra by upto ~4 more (big groups of schooling fish look great, I have 20 Pareutropius cf. mandevillei), or look to a small and docile singleton [struggling to come up with one right this moment that is South American].

That makes sense.  I don't think I'll be adding anymore glowlights, they were given to me, and they weren't my choice.  I'm not going to rehome them either, they're from my sister, and she's very attached, but she can't keep them.

I won't be getting a lot of anything soon anyways, I was just weighing my options for now.  I'd really like some more color, the albino BNs, glowlights, and the bolivian rams don't add a significant amount of color, the platys are the most colorful fish in my tank.  

I have six rummy noses & they are fun to watch & good looking fish imo.
Glass tetras aswell are nice.

Most reactions

trending

Back