Thinking About Going Tanganyika Cichlid Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

For the 3rd species i am thinking about Altolamprologus calvus, comps, or paracyprichromis.

And probably Brevis for shellies.

For the 3rd species i am thinking about Altolamprologus calvus, comps, or paracyprichromis.

Altolamprologus calvus rock. I have a sub adult in my malawi tank as fry controller....he's a 2" bodied fish, still plenty of growing to go, but he is a male for sure :D

DSC00807.jpg

as for shellies, my friend keeps 'Lamprologus' ocellatus (Gold)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1753

beautiful little fish, if not only just a bit 'touchy'

Try not to mix em all up together though. It's not ideal to put Calvus in a Malawi tank.

I am well aware of that...just doing the warning thing............there will be other members reading this thread and we don't want them seeing that photo and thinking it's ok to lump tangs in with malawi now do we?

:hyper: Wow awesome fish!! I love the look of them! But will they eat all the shellie fry? I love the shape of them, and the black versions are stunners lol!

Would these breed if i had a m/f? Are they generally aggressive or are they alright?

I have never seen these for sale before, how much did he cost you?

cheers :good: Awesome fish again!! :hyper:

:hyper: Wow awesome fish!! I love the look of them! But will they eat all the shellie fry? I love the shape of them, and the black versions are stunners lol!

Would these breed if i had a m/f? Are they generally aggressive or are they alright?

I have never seen these for sale before, how much did he cost you?

cheers :good: Awesome fish again!! :hyper:

Take a look see here, some interesting info on them:

Altolamprologus calvus

I just set up a shell tank for Lamprologus stappersi (meleagris, aka Pearly Ocellatus). You can see some okay pictures of mine here and a great article on them here.

I would personally steer clear of adding larger cichlids to a shellie tank as the shellies are likely to end up on the menu. When making a Tang themed tank it is best to stick with either smaller species OR larger ones, not both in the same tank as the vast majority of these fish are going to eat smaller tankmates.

I would personally steer clear of adding larger cichlids to a shellie tank as the shellies are likely to end up on the menu. When making a Tang themed tank it is best to stick with either smaller species OR larger ones, not both in the same tank as the vast majority of these fish are going to eat smaller tankmates.

What would you recommend then? Cheers for the info :good:

What would you recommend then? Cheers for the info :good:

At one point I did seriously consider setting up another tank, moving my cichlids and doing a tank of Calvus blacks with black substrate. The effect would have been quite stunning I think. I think it's up to you what to go for. You've had some pretty good advice so now you'd be better to do a bit of research and work it out. Everyone can tell you what they'd like but you're the one who has to live with it and be happy. :)

ok cheers :good: thanks all for your help! Just gonna decide on the 3rd species now. I'll let you know, when (or if ) I go for one!

ok cheers :good: thanks all for your help! Just gonna decide on the 3rd species now. I'll let you know, when (or if ) I go for one!

I've read up on some valuable info that came to me about my stocking and it seems it's all good. The calvus may eat fry, but not adult shellies.

thanks

Sounds good, today I picked up some multies, might setup the 20g I have soon for a pair of N. Brichardi/Julies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back