Thinking about adding Shrimp

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a question on Shrimp. In the past I was like “nah” just not my thing but now I am open to the idea. It can bring some colour into the tank.

My first question though Yoyo Loaches and Shrimp… can they coexist?

My tank is 75 gallons. PH of around 7.0 to 7.2
GH and KH around 2 degree or about 50ppm

Don’t think I need to know anything else until I know the answer to the Loaches.

Thanks

If the loaches are well fed and the shrimp are an inch or more long, they should be ok if you have lots of plants for the shrimp to hide in. But if the loaches get hungry and the shrimp are small, they will try to eat them.

If the loaches are well fed and the shrimp are an inch or more long, they should be ok if you have lots of plants for the shrimp to hide in. But if the loaches get hungry and the shrimp are small, they will try to eat them.

Thanks Colin

That being said what about my water parameters and Shrimp

The tank is a 75 gallon and has 10 Penguin Tetras / 10 Blue Tetras and 10 Yoyo Loaches

PH: 7.0 to 7.2
GH and KH are about 2
Temperature sits at 77

I don’t really have any brush/carpeting plants for hiding (well I do but they are still growing)

I mostly have stem plants / rock and driftwood and a bunch of floating plants.

The loaches are still young and range in size from about 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches right now and will no doubt be growing more.

With the low GH and KH, you might need to add some calcium. I have put some crushed coral in mine and recently added one of those turtle blocks with calcium in it. Probably better ways to add calcium to the water, but so far so good with my nerite snails. I think shrimp need more calcium than the snails due to molting- not sure on that.

I kept shrimp and snails in my smaller tank before I knew anything about them needing calcium. The shrimp didn't live all that long and the snails' shells would get very corroded. My GH & KH were pretty much like yours-

With the low GH and KH, you might need to add some calcium. I have put some crushed coral in mine and recently added one of those turtle blocks with calcium in it. Probably better ways to add calcium to the water, but so far so good with my nerite snails. I think shrimp need more calcium than the snails due to molting- not sure on that.

I kept shrimp and snails in my smaller tank before I knew anything about them needing calcium. The shrimp didn't live all that long and the snails' shells would get very corroded. My GH & KH were pretty much like yours-

When I said I have rock in the tank (I have about 15 pounds of Seiryu Stone) which naturally will raise the GH/KH but I don’t see much of a raise because of my weekly water change. I have never seen my GH/KH get above 3 degrees

This endeavour is at its beginning stages as I have never kept Shrimp and I know next to nothing about them.

The fish I keep do well in the water I have and I don’t really want to be making any drastic changes to it.

Most reactions

Back