Think I Found A Leach In My Tank

rowlands

New Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi There everyone I,m new to this forum and iv been looking but car'nt find anything on people finding black leach's in there tanks.
I found one in my tank this morning, managed to remove it, but just wanted to know if it would have been dangeras to the fish in my tank
and will there be anymore in there.
I,v got a 108L planted tank, the only things that have been added in the last few months is plants and two moss balls, so i guess it or thay came with the plants or moss.
Can anyony help ?
Thanks
 
Hi rowlands :)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I moved your thread over to the Tropical Discussion section where it will be seen by more of our members. :D
 
Leeches

Info taken from here.
http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

Symptoms:

Infected fish can be seen with worm-like organisms up to 2 inches, which firmly attach to the skin, fins, or gills. Red lesions or sucker marks may even be present.



Cause:

Leeches. Leeches feed on flesh and blood and can cause significant damage if they are not dealt with swiftly. Leeches often carry various bacterial and parasitic illnesses; therefore, secondary infections may follow. Leeches are usually introduced into the aquarium via live foods and plants.



Treatment:

The most effective medications are Fluke-Tabs, Clout, Paragon and Trifon. Salt dips are also very effective. Removing live Leeches from fish is not advisable considering how strongly they adhere to the body of the fish. Attempting to remove them may cause significant pain to the fish as well as physical damage. The lesions caused by the parasites should be treated to prevent secondary infection as well as aid in healing. Carefully dab the wounds with Methylene Blue. If you suspect that your fish may have a secondary bacterial infection, it is highly recommended to supplement treatment with a medicated antibacterial food.
 
Hi There everyone I,m new to this forum and iv been looking but car'nt find anything on people finding black leach's in there tanks.
I found one in my tank this morning, managed to remove it, but just wanted to know if it would have been dangeras to the fish in my tank
and will there be anymore in there.
I,v got a 108L planted tank, the only things that have been added in the last few months is plants and two moss balls, so i guess it or thay came with the plants or moss.
Can anyony help ?
Thanks
hi im faye and you were in the forum a while ago well actually 2months ago. but i was wondering if you found out any more or solved the leech thing as i found one a couple of weeks ago. im at faye.slaven@yahoo.com
 

Most reactions

Back
Top