Thick Lipped Gourami Belly Swelling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noodles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi,

I have 4 thick lipped gourami's, 2 males, 2 females, and they have all been getting steadily plumper, no worries there, just figured breeding condition, as they have been making bubble nests and courting and someone on here did tell me that the females do look pretty plump when in condition, but yesterday noticed that one of the males, the dominant one, (who has a nice thick lip as well!) now has quite a noticable bump sticking out on one of its sides. Its no longer just a smooth widening of the body, but a definite bump, more like a pimple. There is nothing else apparently wrong with him.

I did however check the water stats, as I have not changed the water in a month due to holidays, and was a bit concerned, the usual suspects nitrite, ammonia are nil, and nitrate is 40ppm (less than my tap water!) but the ph was down at 6. Guess it shows I have recreated the amazon quite nicely!

so i did a water change anyway to raise it up a bit, anyone got any ideas on what else I can do? And would the ph drop have triggered it? to be honest it looks like it probably is a bacteria infection that so many gourami's seem to get. The honey's i used to have all got this too. Shame as I thought thick lipped were a bit more resilient.

Most reactions

trending

Back