Then And Now

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Salam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Exactly one year ago I got my first fish after cycling the tank for a grand total of five days :rofl: I knew nothing, LFS told me nothing and I just chucked in random fish into a tiny tank following their 'advice'.

I am actually a little embarrassed, but this was my first tank 12th August 2011 :blush: Please bear in mind that it was my son's 2nd birthday present, so that's my excuse for going very childish.

ThenLarge.jpg

The tank was heavily overstocked without cycling. In total at one point I had 6 tetras (3 neons 3 don't know), 2 dwarf frogs and 3 cories. Needles to say, bar one cory, who is still with me now, they all died one after the other :sad:

My partner was about to give up fish keeping but I thought we should give it one more go. I still didn't really understand cycling or stocking at that point. I got a few platies and guppies after the wipe out and with my first platy pregnancy I started looking for help and I came across this forum. This was in March this year. Can you believe it? Feels like I've been here forever :D

So, after joining I realized how many things I was doing wrong. I got a cheap tank on ebay which was 140 litres and transferred the fish (platies, guppies and cory) to that with mature media. And then I started reading and learning, getting enthusiastic about the hobby. Seeing the fish in the bigger tank I realized how much happier they were and that I was much happier with them. It wasn't a chore, but enjoyment. I also learnt so much about all kinds of fish here that I wanted more, more, more.

There was no stopping me :hyper: I turned into that woman that tells off a fish shop for giving wrong advice and I educate people whenever I can. I now have nine tanks fully running and set up. Some of them I'm 100% happy with, others will still have changes here and there.

I'll go from smallest to biggest, those are my current set ups. There were a few others in between, but the Rios have replaced them.

The original tank now houses a nice breeding colony of red cherry shrimp. I'm actually going to change this soon again, and make it more of a fun tank for my son, as he desperately wants a skull in it. So will go childish and bonkers on that soon, but leave some plants for the shrimps.

ShrimpsLarge.jpg

My dwarf puffer tank which I'm experimenting with plants at the moment as it's only low lit. So again, will have some tweaks in the next months. Spot the puffer :lol:

PufferLarge.jpg

My betta tank which was my birthday present. Love this guy so much :wub: I had lighting problems not long ago and my plants melted, need to get more back in soon now that the problem is sorted so this will also be a bit fuller planting wise soon.

BettaLarge.jpg

My kribensis tank. This was originally a betta sorority, but after an unknown parasite wipe out I chucked the towel and decided to give breeding a go. As you can see, my kribs are already getting ready, they have dug all the sand out of the coconut today and she is inside now and he is guarding it. Should have fry in the next days and that only after two weeks of having them!

KribensisLarge.jpg

Next there is my shelldweller tank housing multis and dickfeldi. It's in the bedroom and calming to watch in the mornings / before bedtime. It has much more shells now, this is an older picture, sorry didn't take one today.

ShelliesLarge.jpg

My newest addition, which set up only because I have fallen in love with that piece of wood and because I had the Fluval 125 sitting upstairs empty in the spare room. See how addicted I am? I got that tank because it was cheap and it could come handy one day :rolleyes: At the moment there are only cories, but after my holiday, I am going to get a pair of Sajicas as my centrepiece fish. Oh no, just realized that the rock in the middle is still there. It will go, was just trying out something. The sajicas will get something like a terracotta pot or so for breeding.

DSCF3075Large.jpg

And now obviously my biggest pride and joys. To those who are following my journal, you will know them.

The Rio 125 is my try at Iwagumi without Co2. There is still a long way to go until the moss will cover the bottom, but I'll get there.

Rio125Large.jpg

My biggest success so far is my Rio 180. I'm in love with this tank and could watch the fish and scape for hours.

Rio180Large.jpg

And the biggest, my Vision 260 which will be upgraded to a Rio 400 soon (my 99 pence bargain :good: ) which is my malawi tank. I absolutely adore them. They follow my every move, and as soon as I go close to the tank it's party time. Can't wait to give them their bigger home. My first one is already pregnant and close to spitting. Once the Rio 400 is set up there will be a 3ft breeder tank beneath in the cupboard, and I can't wait to watch the fry grow.

MalawiLarge.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my little journey. One year ago, I can't believe what I started with and what I got now. MTS big time!!! :D

Haha, I loved reading it! Your tanks all look beautiful :good: I see myself being the same way.

Haha, I loved reading it! Your tanks all look beautiful :good: I see myself being the same way.

Thanks :) Still some work in progress, but am really pleased and every tank looks different and has their own 'personality'. Once the addiction starts, there is no stopping, eh? ;)

Right! I would love to have tanks in every room of the house. The boyfriend doesn't understand how different each tank can be. I'm slowly getting him into it :hey: I was so surprised getting a 75 gallon, I expected it to be huge but once its up it doesn't look that big and you can't really put as much as you thought in it! Haha, I need more.. At least everyone on here can relate.

Great mosaic of tanks
good.gif
. Very jealous. Not of your water changes. lOL.

Giving me a kick up the #14### to do something with mine.

Right! I would love to have tanks in every room of the house. The boyfriend doesn't understand how different each tank can be. I'm slowly getting him into it :hey: I was so surprised getting a 75 gallon, I expected it to be huge but once its up it doesn't look that big and you can't really put as much as you thought in it! Haha, I need more.. At least everyone on here can relate.

That's the problem with tanks. I thought my first upgrade to the 140 litres was big. Then I thought my currently 260 litres was big. And now even the 5fter that is waiting to be set up and will hold 450 litres looks small. I seriously need a bigger house :lol:
I really love having smaller to medium sized tanks scattered all around the house, gives me something nice to look at everywhere. And each tank has different fish species, nothing is double.

Great mosaic of tanks
good.gif
. Very jealous. Not of your water changes. lOL.

Giving me a kick up the #14### to do something with mine.

Thanks :) Actually, it's not that bad. Last Thursday we timed ourselves and did all nine tanks in one go, one after the other and at times two together. It took us just over two hours working together. He took water out while I did pruning for example, or I did the betta tank while he did the puffer tank, so it was all together. If you consider that we walk the dog over an hour each day, the fish need much less effort and time.

Exactly. So many species are happier together, in big groups. I keep trying to say I'm so obsessed with aquariums because its the most beautiful form of art I can create.

Lol, me too. I'm useless at anything else involving creativity, but for example my Rio 180 shows that I can pull something off when I put the work (and money!) into it.

All your tanks look lovely :)
I'l be making a similar post to yours soon it will be a year for me too on the 23rd August! :)

All your tanks look lovely :)
I'l be making a similar post to yours soon it will be a year for me too on the 23rd August! :)

Looking forward to that. How many tanks have you got in one year? Or just one and improved that one in time?

Most reactions

Back