What's new

The Yeast Co2 Method

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
wondering if you have noticed any algae growth yet?

In the first few days when I was messing around with the setup a lot there was some extra algae as a result but since then nothing new yet nothing died off either. I will give it time though.

AC

wondering if you have noticed any algae growth yet?

In the first few days when I was messing around with the setup a lot there was some extra algae as a result but since then nothing new yet nothing died off either. I will give it time though.

AC

Any updates on this? Been over a month?

I will get back to this don't worry. A little overloaded at the mo.

Stlil running on the half teasponn of yeast/400g sugar per bottle and each bottle lasting 3 weeks at the moent. Seems to be working fine. mid green colour.

On the 10 litre I am using a single 500ml bottle with 100g sugar 1/4 teaspoon yeast. This is on yellow permanently yet the shrimp seem unaffected. Tried it at 1/8th teaspoon and only just reached green so I may move down to 3/16the teaspoon and see if I can get mid to light green rather than greeny blue and yellow :)

Andy

Sounding good, mine is running two bottles still changing each once a week as they die off, only takes two mins. Just bought a nano glass diffuser tho, installed it today and it takes a lot more pressure to get through the ceramic plate than my old airstone with the ladder above it. Thing is it did say when I bought it that it can be used for yeast and pressurized so we'll see. Hoping by this evening it will be in full flow as I just changed the bottles mix for a new one.

i think i'll b adding a third bottle to my setup on a 125litre.. im getting 1 bubble per 2 secs max and my drop checker is green/blue with 3/4 teaspoon yeast and 400g sugar. Although, my plants have grown like mad! :D im very happy with the results so far. and as for algae growth, i never get chance to spot any with my 2 ottos :p

AC i received delivery of some leonardaite yesterday (soil builder granules) just need some plant substrate n then think ill do a post when i rescape everything. i take it u hardly need any leonardite in the substrate?

Just bought a nano glass diffuser tho, installed it today and it takes a lot more pressure to get through the ceramic plate than my old airstone with the ladder above it. Thing is it did say when I bought it that it can be used for yeast and pressurized so we'll see. Hoping by this evening it will be in full flow as I just changed the bottles mix for a new one.

Are you using the same yeast as me? the one that comes in several sachets within a box. I am using a nano glass diffuser on the 10ltr. About 1cm diameter. Even tohugh it is only getting the gas created from 100gsugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast it is delivering some very fine mist from one part of the disc. Very low pressure yet it is enough to send the DC yellow :)

AC i received delivery of some leonardaite yesterday (soil builder granules) just need some plant substrate n then think ill do a post when i rescape everything. i take it u hardly need any leonardite in the substrate?

You only need a quarter of an inch if that. It isn't so much for nutrient. It is more to do with a slow release of carbon. Especially for non CO2 tanks really where you want alternative carbon sources. Even the KH may be used up after a year of no water changes. Not a problem though. The Leonardite just 'adds' to what can be used.

AC

Just bought a nano glass diffuser tho, installed it today and it takes a lot more pressure to get through the ceramic plate than my old airstone with the ladder above it. Thing is it did say when I bought it that it can be used for yeast and pressurized so we'll see. Hoping by this evening it will be in full flow as I just changed the bottles mix for a new one.

Are you using the same yeast as me? the one that comes in several sachets within a box. I am using a nano glass diffuser on the 10ltr. About 1cm diameter. Even tohugh it is only getting the gas created from 100gsugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast it is delivering some very fine mist from one part of the disc. Very low pressure yet it is enough to send the DC yellow :)

You only need a quarter of an inch if that. It isn't so much for nutrient. It is more to do with a slow release of carbon. Especially for non CO2 tanks really where you want alternative carbon sources. Even the KH may be used up after a year of no water changes. Not a problem though. The Leonardite just 'adds' to what can be used.

AC

Yes mate the easy bake stuff in a green box. After clearing the water from the tube today it kicked into life as I still have no non return valve fitted lol. The extra pressure it takes to get the bubbles through these ceramic discs tho will be enough to back syphon when I disconnect the bottles so I'll be fitting the non return valve next week on bottle refill. My diffuser is 2cm diameter disc and gives a constant stream from the whole disc but on one side a very very fine mist too and the rest of the bubbles are tiny. :)

Very very interesting thread going on here, i'm just putting my toe in the water as regards DIY C02 and i'm learning a heck of a lot, one question though after reading about Seachem Purigen, i'm running a fluval U3 filter in a 120 ltr setup would I have to replace the bio media tray in the filter with some sort of bag or would the purigen fit in the tray ?.

Not sure what goes inside the U3. Purigen is best (in my experience) bought prebagged rather than loose and then user bagging. Comes in a 100ml/g bag which is about 4inches x 2 inches and about half an inch in depth.

If it won't fit in you could remove some media or make some media smaller to put it in.

It isn't a necessity though. the reason I use it is because it removes organic N (mainly ammonia) which I then replace with inorganic N (Potassium Nitrate) It also pmakes the water absolutely crystal clear. A bit like Carbon except 10 x better and it last more than a day before it is wasted. lol

So it isn't necessary at all in relation to the yeast method. Just something that I like to use.

AC

I have decided to start using DIY CO2 in my 210l tank, and if that goes well, I'll use it in my others. This guide is a great read, and very helpful. :good:

How many bottles do you think I'll need for a 210l tank? I'm thinking 4-5 2l bottles? And will using more bottles keep levels more stable?

cheers :good:

I have decided to start using DIY CO2 in my 210l tank, and if that goes well, I'll use it in my others. This guide is a great read, and very helpful. :good:

How many bottles do you think I'll need for a 210l tank? I'm thinking 4-5 2l bottles? And will using more bottles keep levels more stable?

cheers :good:

Personally I would stick to the 3 bottles but increase the yeast to 3/4 teaspoon (proper measuring spoons.)

Then change each bottle every 2 weeks on a stagger. Write 1,2,3 on the bottles and then tape a change schedule on the back of your cabinet door. It is very easy to forget whichh bottle is to be changed and when after doing this for a few weeks.

The 30ppm isn't really the point with CO2 at all. That is just a safe but non limiting figure. As long as the level is stable then it can be whatever ppm you want. As long as it isn't rising and falling all the time and a stable level (within reason) then you are adding CO2 without messing the plants around.

AC

I'm so very tempted to give this a go.

What size tank do you have ColdCazzie? I have a 125 litre / 30 Gallon with sand substrate, have a lot of Sagittaria Subulata, 8 or 9 crypts, an anubias (this has FOUR new leaves since!!!), java moss and a java fern. I cannot tell you how much these have grown beautifully since implementing SuperColeys method :hyper: (well, from this post anyway :shifty: ) If you are already dosing with ferts I would definitely recommend it. :nod:

All I do is:

Daily - feed fish and add 5ml TPN+.

Wednesday - change one bottle of sugar, water and yeast mix.

Sunday - 30 - 40 % water change and change the other bottle's mix.

EASY! :good:

I don't even think I need to add a third bottle. I think my secret might be down to having a 50 watt halogen spot inside the cupboard near the two yeast mix bottle that I time to come on with the lights, this seems to warm the bottles and increases the CO2 output for the lighting period ;)

I'm so very tempted to give this a go.

What size tank do you have ColdCazzie? I have a 125 litre / 30 Gallon with sand substrate, have a lot of Sagittaria Subulata, 8 or 9 crypts, an anubias (this has FOUR new leaves since!!!), java moss and a java fern. I cannot tell you how much these have grown beautifully since implementing SuperColeys method :hyper: (well, from this post anyway :shifty: ) If you are already dosing with ferts I would definitely recommend it. :nod:

All I do is:

Daily - feed fish and add 5ml TPN+.

Wednesday - change one bottle of sugar, water and yeast mix.

Sunday - 30 - 40 % water change and change the other bottle's mix.

EASY! :good:

I don't even think I need to add a third bottle. I think my secret might be down to having a 50 watt halogen spot inside the cupboard near the two yeast mix bottle that I time to come on with the lights, this seems to warm the bottles and increases the CO2 output for the lighting period ;)

It's a Rio 240, so probably about 195L once you allow for substrate and water displacement due to wood. Running APS 2000l/h external which has capacity of about 12L. Have 78W of lighting via 2 T8s so around 1.5WPG. Currently doing EI so co2 is the only thing missing from the equation now.

Would still have to acquire all the co2 bits - tubing, valves, silicone, as I have none of those.

What yeast do you use? I have some Allinson Baking Yeast in the cupboard, would that be suitable?

so you'd probably use 3 bottles ? you're only a couple of cheap purchases off ebay away :good:

are u in uk as may hav a few spare parts u can have iv also got some spare postal stamps too!

i use allinson dried active yeast for hand baking (125g yelllow tub)

oh and, th most difficult part is getting a good seal on the bottle tops etc, i ended up using a glue gun :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back