The Worst Thing....

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
3,290
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hudson, Wisconsin USA
I came home 2 hours ago to a nightmare. In my 55gal almost half my fish are dead. Including my 3 panda garras. The tank was cloudy, and I had a nitrite reading of about 2ppm, ammonia was 0. All my fish are in buckets and I'm getting close to the end of a almost 200% water change. I think I made a really stupid mistake. I did a 50% water change yesterday, trimmed the plants back, and added a large log to the tank. That would of been fine, but I fed my eels later that night, 1 jumbo shrimp and 3 nightcrawlers. Which is a lot more than what they normally eat. The tank was fine this morning, but when I got home I'd lost about $100 in stock.
 
Oh man! I am sorry to hear this!

If you need any help, anytime, I can come over and help you out, I only live 20 or so minutes away from Hudson.

-FHM
 
I came home 2 hours ago to a nightmare. In my 55gal almost half my fish are dead. Including my 3 panda garras. The tank was cloudy, and I had a nitrite reading of about 2ppm, ammonia was 0. All my fish are in buckets and I'm getting close to the end of a almost 200% water change. I think I made a really stupid mistake. I did a 50% water change yesterday, trimmed the plants back, and added a large log to the tank. That would of been fine, but I fed my eels later that night, 1 jumbo shrimp and 3 nightcrawlers. Which is a lot more than what they normally eat. The tank was fine this morning, but when I got home I'd lost about $100 in stock.

So sorry to hear that hun (((((hugs)))))
 
Well I have gotten nitrite back down to zero for now. Total losses are my entire rummy nosed tetra school(8-10 of them), 1 true SAE, 3 panda garras :sad: . I think the tank should stabilize now, considering about half the stock is gone. I moved all my german blue rams to other tank, incase nitrite does rise again, I'm surprised they made it through the 2ppm. I was really close to losing them too. Gutted that I lost the fish I did. The garras where one of my favorite, and I was planning on ordering some more very soon. That idea is scratched for now. My rummy noses were about 2 years old, nice mature adults.

On top of losing all the fish. My back hurts now from hauling buckets everywhere. I still need to finish a chem lab thats due tomorrow, and I need to study for a bio. exam that is tomorrow too.
 
Sorry about it again!

But I am glad that you got it under control!

Good luck on your school work....I had a History exam today, if that makes you feel better...lol.

That sucks that River Falls does not have Friday or Monday off, Here at Stout we have a 4 day weekend!

It sucks because my girlfriend goes to River Falls too. So I will be off, but she wont be.

-FHM
 
OMG, Mikaila, I'm so sorry.
I hope you can manage the exam alright - although you'd need an iron will to concentrate after something so horrendous, and with your back hurting on top of it all.
What a heartbreak...
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your fish... :sad:
I wouldn't want to come home to that!!! :crazy:

Good luck with your school work. :good:
Today was my last day. End of first term in Australia. YAY!!! 2 weeks holidays.
 
Well a update. I have not lost anymore fish, though I did have another even higher nitrite spike on Friday morning. I also have a cold now :( . I also figured out what killed all my poor fishys was the large log I added to the tank. Bought the damn thing from petsmart, cleaned and boiled it before adding it to the tank. I took it out on Friday as I was getting suspicious of it. I was growing some white crap, which I was told was normal for the first few weeks. Its been sitting outside in a bin full of water since yesterday. No heater, no filter. API test show nitrite in the bin is 5ppm or possibly off the scale and a ammonia reading of 1ppm all from a damn log! How a long can produce ammonia and nitrite I'm not really sure, but it's what the tests are showing. I'm pissed, first and last time I buy any wood from Petsmart! I will deal with the $7 a pound wood from the other Pet stores, at least that stuff has never killed my fish. Since I took the log out the tank has been fine both ammonia and nitrite at 0.
 
Sorry to here that, but glad you found the problem.

I would see if you cant get your money back, or at least go and talk to them about it.

I would be upset as well!

-FHM
 
I wonder if perhaps critters were living inside the log which were killed by the boiling process and rotted, producing ammonia?
That might also produce mould...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top