The Work Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ace61502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I upgraded my 5 year old's tank to a 29g during Petco's $1/gallon sale, and asked my dad/boss if I could bring one of my empty 10g tanks up here to set up. He agreed. I got to thinking that a 10g tank is only going to tick me off within a few weeks, if that long, and I'd be itching for bigger, so I got another 29g tank. :hyper: I brought it in about a week ago and got the substrate (mix of silica and black beauty) in and partially filled it. Yesterday the filter, heater, etc., arrived from Amazon.com, so I got those in. Today I brought in some elodea I'd pulled from a tank at home, along with some Argentine Swords and Peacock fern I picked up last night.

I had worried about the logistics of getting fish here. I come to work before any LFS opens, and I run the office alone, so running out on my lunch break... not happening. I don't get one. I looked into ordering fish, but shipping is ridiculous (understandably) and then contacted the owner of my most trusted LFS and asked what they thought I should do. They told me to come in and pick out fish, they'd put them in a separate tank alone, then they'd meet me there at 7am the next morning/business day so I could pick them up and bring them straight in. :wub: :wub: :wub:

So, here the tank is today. Got more plans in my head for decorating, and would like some ideas for low tech carpeting (Got about 2/3w per gallon, which I could EASILY double if needed/recommended).

(BTW... I work for a plumbing company, so yes, there is a theme here. :fun: )

fullview2.jpg

The pipe planters are filled with soil and topped off with sand on each end.

I like it. I've seen a plumbing style tank before. Think it would look better with a few more plants in.
What's the stocking going to be?
I actually use a few bits of waste pipe for caves in the tank.

I like it. I've seen a plumbing style tank before. Think it would look better with a few more plants in.
What's the stocking going to be?
I actually use a few bits of waste pipe for caves in the tank.

I'm not entirely sure about the stocking yet. Will have to see what Bob has this week and go from there. :) I would LOVE to find some blue wag platies. Bob is looking to see if he can find some. I think I want a school of Cardinal tetras to start, and then pick some suitable tankmates, but we'll see.

Still definitely got a ways to go on the planting. All that's in there now is what I pulled from a tank at home last week and the only two I saw at Petco last night that I liked. Pickings were slim. Thinking I may pull one of the bigger crypts from my big tank and put it in front of the heater to hide it. I'll probably be picking up more plants at Bob's tomorrow, too, depending on what he has available. I'm thinking I'll glue some anubias to the top of the cave pipe, and I think I want to replace the elodea with something in a darker green. Then again, once I add my black poster board background, I may decide I like the lighter green. OTOH, I don't want everything the same green color, but maybe lighter green in the back will be ok. I do know that stuff grows like crazy, and do I really want to be trimming it constantly at home AND at work??

I also have an idea in my head that is going to crack a few smiles and even more laughs when it is implemented. Just waiting on the post office. :hey:

It was the tanks I've seen using PVC covered in sand/pebbles/etc that gave me the idea of using just plain PVC. That and the fact I've got an unlimited supply of it here.

Got my fish picked out! Stocking will be:

Pair of Golden Rams
8 Neon tetras
6 Harlequin rasboras

Stocking level for the tank is 61% and filtration is 228%, so will have room to add more later if I decide to do so. The female ram appears to be about ready to spawn, so that may take care of the rest of the room, time will tell. Hopefully the stress of moving won't cause her to reabsorb her eggs, and the male she's with is the right one. LOL If not, fine. ;)

There is also a guy bringing in 4 breeding pair of marbled angelfish Wednesday, and I've got my name on a pair or two. Not for this tank, obviously, but I'm excited and had to share!!

This is fun. I like the pvc planters, I like the idea of doing something cute with a tank, just not TOO cute {sunken disney princess castles} :hyper:

Did you cycle the filter?

I have filter media sitting in a filter here at home that will be transferred to the new tank Monday morning. I keep it in a filter somewhere at all times so I always have mobile bacteria. :) Will be adding more plants, too, so that will keep the NOs down as well. :)

This is fun. I like the pvc planters, I like the idea of doing something cute with a tank, just not TOO cute {sunken disney princess castles) :hyper:

I really don't like the over cutesy either. LOL My 5 year old's tank has toy soldiers and a beach ball and a couple of those fake jellyfish hovering in it and I hate it. :sick: But, he loves it and he's growing up in the hobby, so maybe he'll be an amazing fishkeeper when he grows up. :nod: He's already learning a lot!!

Lol I would put Anything in my son's tank when he turns 5, to try getting him interested.

I am trying to convert my 3 year old as well. I let him pick out the first tank I put in here, but I've since taken over. So instead of sponge bob with neon green rocks it's black sand with a skull castle. All well... I'll probalby let him pick out the Betta when the tank is ready for it.

Brought in a bit of pennywort and a crypt, and, of course, the fish. :D

fullviewFeb27.jpg

Feb27Rams.jpg

The neons really seem to like the open area in front of the pipes. They pretty much stay there. The rasboras are just all over.
Feb27tetras.jpg

Going this afternoon to pick up some HC, but the theme is complete.

432314_10100258513828076_6517068_42146268_1662643877_n.jpg

Close up:

421954_10100258514207316_6517068_42146269_1045466912_n.jpg

:rofl:
This is an amazing tank considering its designed for you works theme.
Brilliant idea.

I have to ask, where did you find the wee bathroom suite?

LOL That's dollhouse furniture. Found it on eBay. ;)

Most reactions

Back