The weirdest thing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

chaotica2010

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so today I did a substrate change and took out my old UGF. Anyway as I am scooping out fish and putting them in 5 gallon I notice I am missing a dojo loach. Now I drain it almost all the way down and start to take out most the old substrate and still no loach. I finished draining the tank and no loach. So eithier he jumped out and I just didn't notice actually no this could be the only thing. Unless of course the thing is practicing magic. Well anyway I went and got two more (really small) and they are hanging out with the remaining bigger loach.

Rick 8)

I had some flounder and they just disappeared one day. I think they dug under my gravel and it was too heavy and squished them, then they must have just rotted. EWWWW

we think that must be what happened to my brother's weather loach :/

Heres an interesting story for you. we once had a wether loach in an outdoor pond and one day the pond had to be dug up but alas no weather loach. 1 year later we were putting a post into the ground where the pond used to be and what the hell a wether loach living in a cokoon!!!!!! We took him inside and aclimatised him to our tropical tank and he came out of his cokoon and lived for a week but then died :( So some fish dig (loaches) and even make cokoons so this is where some of your fish could have gone into the substrate. I tell you the above story is not a joke!

Interesting story! Although it's quite sad to lose a fish under any circumstances :(

I did a search on the web and found this page on weather loaches. Note particularly the section that goes:

"During dry spells when water sources disappear the industrious weather loach survives by burrowing in the mud to protect its skin from drying out. This burrowing habit is a favorite pastime, and it's not unusual for an owner to think the fish has disappeared only to discover the loach burrowed beneath the substrate. If burrowing does not offer sufficient protection during particularly severe conditions, the weather loach is capable of secreting a protective mucous to prevent it from drying out."

The more I read the more I want more space for more tanks and more fish...

I've had it happen to my tetras and i think that the other fish have eaten it for lunch (not a nice thought)

Most reactions

Back